• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change standard pc to ACPI on older rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samuknow

I'm sure this has been here before but, I just setup an older NEC computer and after all the setup, updates, and software, I discovered that the computer would not turn off due to it being setup as a standard PC in the hardware manager. I rechecked the BIOS to make sure ACPI was enabled and it was. I am pretty sure I cannot go back to ACPI or Uniprocessor without wrecking the entire install. Has a way been discovered?

If not how can I ensure that this does not happen again after I format and install?

I have tried to hit F5 and it gives me no other options other than Standard PC or other.

I have also tried to select another HAL in device manager and Standard pc is all that is available.

Any ideas

I have tried to hit F5 and it gives me no other options other than Standard PC or other.
In order to view all of the available HAL's, you need to use the up/down arrow keys to scroll through the list. You should see the following HAL's listed...

ACPI Multiprocessor PC
ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible
MPS Uniprocessor PC
MPS Multiprocessor PC
Standard PC
Standard PC with C-Step i486
Other
I have also tried to select another HAL in device manager and Standard pc is all that is available.
To change the installed computer type... "Driver" tab of the Computer Type properties | "Update Driver" button. You can only change or update your HAL from Device Manager under Computer Type when changing from a Standard PC HAL to a Standard Multiprocessor PC HAL, because changing from an ACPI HAL to a Standard HAL can sometimes result in your not being able to start your computer... although I have seen it done with success.

If all you want to do is have it shut down,and it is capable of it you don't need acpi.
Go into the control panel power options and look for apm or automatic power management and check the box.I sometimes have to do this on older pc that install as standard PC but support automatic power down.

Ok, I got it.....

Enabling APM in the control panel. I have seen it before but never needed it. Forgot all about it.

Thanks..

Back