• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats a reason for upping the mem voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Subzer0

ive seen ppl talk about upping their voltage but ive never seeen in the bios how to do it. im using a kk266 and what are signs that maybe the voltage should be raised? what kind of symptoms would i get?
thanks...........................

You need to put more voltage throught the memory when you clock it, just like a CPU.

You know when to up it because as the memory speed rises, you start getting lockups. Increase by tiny (0.05V) increments. More voltage also means more heat, so keep those DIMMS cool........

it allows you to run your memory at a higher speed, say at defalut your 133 got to 150 with the voltage up it could get a bit higher, someone got there crucial 2100 ddr to 183fsb stable!
a good board that supports this is the new epox using the kt266A chipset, its available from www.overclockers.co.uk
If you put your mem up to much though i reccomend using thermaltake ram coolers.... ive ordered 3 kits to go with my 768mb of memory......

I've already killed a stick of 256Mb Crucial 2100 through too much voltage. I ran it at 2.9v for too long. Strangely the other stick I had still works. Maybe that one was not upto Crucials standards, but hey.

Im gonna get another stick and slap on some heatspreaders. Maybe then I wont need to worry so much about voltage.

i'm always wonderng how high is too high???

i'm using KG7 w/ Corsia PC2400 DDR. currently running at 2.7v 150MHz.... thought it could do more??? but won't do at 155 or 160...?? should i up the voltage a bit more?? 2.75v?? :confused:

With thermaltake heat spreaders and a reasonable sized fan you should be able to up it to about 3.3Volt! (Thats what my mate did) you shoulf be able to hit 180FSB! then if the rest of your system is up to it!
Find the linit of your processor (multiplier) then get the highest fsb wif lowest multiplier to hit that, remember HEAT KILLS NOT VOLTAGE.

You mean the whole time I was trying to OC my PC2400 that not upping the voltage might have made it unstable? What is the default voltage for the new kt266A mobos? I'm at work and can't look at my notes:) How high should I go without additional cooling? Keep in mind I have an aluminum case with 4 fans along with a dual fan PS (that really helps too). So far at the default voltage, I can OC the fsb to 139 at 99% stability (nothing is ever 100%). So at 140 I should up it .05V and check it out and if all is well up it to 141 and up the voltage to keep it stable? Just keep doing this until no increase in voltage helps?

Default 2.5V

Yeah basically thats the principal, you should go more than .025v without additional cooling ,put a high cfm fan on it, i dont know about the heatspreaders though mixed opinions.
Dont go silly and burn your mem!
You say though your at 139FSb, your mem being 2400 should not start crapping out on you tilla lot later, maybe the mem isn't the prob here, try removing other pci cards and etc.

I've done that already. With just the DVD and Video card, I couldn't get the pc2400 past 133 at all or even set to high performance in the BIOS. With the Samsung pc2100, I can get it to 139. Go figure and that's with 2 Corsair PC2400. I've read that the XP cpus don't like memory OCing, so I'm not sure what to do. So you're saying that I shouldn't have to up the voltage at the current level of OCing?

same thing happening to me too...:confused:

brought a stick of Corsair PC2400 CAS2 from PCNut. put in it w/ KG7 + XP 1500+ (1.33G). couldn't do anywhere near 150MHz, not even 140MHz!! i've tried to up the memory voltage up to 2.8, still no good!! :mad:

any idea......????

Maybe your mem doesn't like the board as its not even running at its rated speed!
(Try getting a refund is its to bad and its not running at what there supposed to)
Or if you have 21$ Buy 256MB DDR 2100 Crucial mem, they always run at lower latencys and you can hit 166fsb at 2.7v at cas2! Put the speed to the fastest then oc, instead of lowering ltency to get better fsb up the voltage!!!
It works.
Just put a fan on the mem.

well, the memory can do Sandra memory test for 100+loops!! at 140 &145, haven't tried 150. however, it'll crash in SETI!!

also, besides memory settig AUTO, nothing would boot. locked up when started booting Window??? btw, it's setting CAS 2.

is it the board? or the memory??

ordered a stick of Cruical DDR last night. and i'll try w/ Cruical to see if it's really the memory.....

Same's happening with me. I have 4 sticks, 2 that are samsung pc2100 CAS2.5, and 2 that are Corsair pc2400 CAS2. The Corsair, individually or together, can't handle anything but default settings and no OCing. The Samsung work at high performance settings, CAS2, and OCed to 139. Anything higher than 139 causes 3DMark2001 to hang or quit back to the desktop. At 141, I had reboots and sometimes corrupted files. Standard voltages. I'm at a loss here since I just ordered 2 more Samsung pc2100 sticks for about $72. I had them test them before they shipped, so that cost me $7. Then another $19 for 3 day shipping. I'd do Crucial, but so far Samsung has worked. 6 sticks and only one working would tell me it isn't RAM. Maybe the mobo + XP cpu doesn't like OCed memory. No one knows if that's true, but it sure looks like it, since I haven't heard of anyone OCing the new kt266A mobos that use the new XP cpu. Might be a bug. I want to know if anyone from the Epox arena has been able to do it.

well, i've set the it at CAS 2, stock "AUTO" timing, tried 2.65-2.7v, even had it up to 2.8v, still no good......

however, i've just ran 3DMark2001, didn't crash for an hr, then i'll get an error message saying "out of memory...."?? use TaskInfo to check it, system had 256MB, 512 swap files size, but it's down to like only....30-45MB free phyical memory in the system???!!! and there's nothing running/ran but 3DMark & MBM...!!!:confused:

i've just re-install the SETI again, and see if it still crash (now running the system at stock speed...:mad: )

what make me doubt 'bout memory fault is if so, how could it survive 100+ loops of Sandra2001 either just memory or the whole burn-in test!!?? the memory ran exactly 100 loop at 145, CAS2, AUTO timing, 2.7v w/out any problem tho!!

hoping it was just SETI went bad and the re-install would help....

crossing my fingers......:rolleyes:

Get a memory defragmenter like memturbo, use it to clear your memory after running alot of stuff, that is if you using win98 or me. Also whens the last time you scanned for virus's.

chemmajik said:
Get a memory defragmenter like memturbo, use it to clear your memory after running alot of stuff, that is if you using win98 or me. Also whens the last time you scanned for virus's.
This guys right, I mean amongst all the "overclocking" we never check for virus'!!!!

Free firewall @ www.zonelabs.com
Free virus wif free updates @ www.grisoft.com (Rated best scanner out there by a top mag!):burn:

are there cas 2 in ddr rams?

mine is kingmax 256mb pc-150 ddr 300mhz with cas 2.5.

no silly me... didn't check for any cas 2s....

anyway i got it to go at 165fsb at 2.7v
no heat spreader. hehe...
hope it don't die. =P

All quality DDR ram (preferably crucial) will run @ cas2, I would put a fan on the memory when you go over 2.7V and use the mem voltage adjustment like this:

Set mem to lowest timings (cas2)
Then raise fsb, instead of making timings go higher to achieve a higher fsb raise the mem voltage.
Someone got their Crucial DDR to 173FSB @ cas2! Go to mem section in forum and look at highest mem score ever i think that was @ 3.2v cas2 180fsb!....

Back