• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Pro / x64 from college

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Hey.

My friend just got a copy of Windows XP from their school. Its a special deal they can get through school because they require WinXP for their network.

The package (two sleeves in shrinkwrap) came with two disks. Theres one WinXP Pro SP2, with a serial. Theres one WinXP x64, with a serial.

They said something about only installing one, but they werent clear about it. Anyone know how this sort of thing works? We would like to install both (or at least try both). Dual boot the one system with XP and x64. I'm just wondering if they meant you can only install it to one computer (cause its OEMish licenced) or if you are only allowed to try one or the other. We'd like the chance to try 64 bit, but in case we have problems with compatibility (I figure they're almost all worked out, but I know a while back things were a bit rediculous) We'd like to be able to back out again and use regular XP.

Or just leave them both dual booted and have both availiable.

i got the same, i say install them both. the install codes are different, i don't see a problem. worse comes to worse you can pay msdnaa $12 for another set.

I would say install both if you want. If you do end up with problems activating them both you can always call and explain that you wanted to try the x64 but enountered compatability problems so needed to install the other one. My guess is they would let you activate then.

ErikD said:
I would say install both if you want. If you do end up with problems activating them both you can always call and explain that you wanted to try the x64 but enountered compatability problems so needed to install the other one. My guess is they would let you activate then.

Yeah thats what I figured. Sounds good!

Back