• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg layout change: "guided search"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masterwoot

When you open up a category now at newegg you'll find an interesting "guided search" instead of the old "advanced category search". Check it out. . Personally, I dislike the "guided search" and much prefer the "advanced category search".

Not only is the "guided search" slower for me to filter to needed products, I believe it gives preferential treatment to companies like Abit or Asus over companies like MSI simply because of their alphabetical listing. (I'm not making any statement/judgment here about any of those companies, just that it's now more difficult to get to the later part of the alphabet.) Furthermore, if you have made an "advanced category search" by clicking on that option up top, then after you've visited your results and hit 'back' you'll find the default "guided search" awaiting you.

I don't know if you like or dislike the change. For me it's a big pain. If you don't like the change, then please let contact their webmaster as I've done.

Thanks,
MW

Here's their pic of the situation...(came to me via email).

image1.png

You get the "guided search" automatically now....

hmm, it looks back to normal....YEAH!!!

Perhaps enough people said something about it.

EDIT: Nope...tis back again...arg.

Last edited:
Well I don't know what they did to 'fix' there layout, but it's better now. The
'advanced' search comes up regularly for me now and is good. I also like that if you make one selection, say "939 socket", then the next screen will have the filtered results and still options for more 'advanced' refinements--pretty nice.

I personally like the Guided Search. Makes things quite easy.

Ex: Click on Cables, then can minimize search to Round Cables only, then down to IDE or Floppy, then down to Length, Color, etc. Saves time scrolling through 100s of makes / models I have no interest in.

:thup:

I don't care for that guided search. I'd prefer the advanced search the way is was. Maybe they'll let you chose those options from your profile.

Back