• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermochill PA 160

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
pwnt by pat said:
Mated with a higher flow fan yes, it should. You may not get the temps you want but the rad should be able to handle all three.

Seconded. All depends on how much fan noise you're willing to put up with for the temps you want.

pa120.2 would do a better job a lot quieter, but yes a pa160 will suffice... with the new cases youve been looking at in other threads you could go for a rad much larger than a pa160.... ;)

shawkins said:
For that much heat, I would think a 120.3 would be a better choice? Isnt a 160.1 roughly equal to a 120.2 in surface area?

Yep, you only gain a ballpark 10% more cooling area with the 120.2 over the 160.1 BUT you also gain a place to mount a second fan. With the venturi type shroud on the 160 you are getting just about maximum effect from the airflow however so I dont think you would gain 'double the airflow' effectively. The cooling should certainly be more effective however. If you can come up with a venturi type shroud as well the 120.2 may just handle that heat nicely.

the pa 160 .. with a push pull config .. with 2x sanyo denkis ? with a shroud on each side

I am currently running a PA160 with two shrouds push/pull using Evercool aluminum fans (on a controller). It easily cools my Opteron 170 + single 7800GTX, so you should be okay too. I agree, however, that you will probably want slightly louder, higher CFM fans for the SLi setup.

How much do you plan on OCing mathatR? I would certainly think that going with atleast a 120.2 would be good to be a little on the safe side? But after all, it is your choice.

i was thinking of switching to a lian li 2100b .. and there are 2 x 120s in that case .. one in the lower front and 1 by the cpu socket sorta .. could i run 2 x thermochill pa160s .. and have a coolermaster aluminum fan on each with a shroud .. now that shouldnt be loud and cool way enough right ?

madhatR said:
i was thinking of switching to a lian li 2100b .. and there are 2 x 120s in that case .. one in the lower front and 1 by the cpu socket sorta .. could i run 2 x thermochill pa160s .. and have a coolermaster aluminum fan on each with a shroud .. now that shouldnt be loud and cool way enough right ?

My sys is in a v2000b+ which is basically the 2100 without the door. For the exhaust 120mm fan in back, you would need to run the PA on the outside. The thing is monstrous and would never fit on the inside of the case unless you mounted the motherboard elsewhere. For an idea of what I'm talking about check out my thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=434149

The PA-160 seems like it was special-made for my V2100B. I did buy two shroudes but I only run it with a single shroud and Nexus fan because push-pull was too loud for me and the rad performs just as good with just the one fan and shroud in push mode.

If I were to need more cooling capacity (right now I'm just cooling cpu), I guess I would probably add a 120 rad internally in the rear 120mm fan exhaust spot. Really, I'm not convinced this PA-160 could'nt handle my 3800x2@2750 1.55 vcore plus two 7800gtx OC's, but if I ever need to, this case makes it pretty easy.

slammin:

does the rad really get any fresh air .. from looking at the 2100 .. it just has a little slit in the on the bottom for fresh air on the intake ?

also u thought 2x nexus fans were too loud ?

i guess worst case scenario would be having to cut a 120mm blow hole up top for a 2nd pa160

madhatR said:
slammin:

does the rad really get any fresh air .. from looking at the 2100 .. it just has a little slit in the on the bottom for fresh air on the intake ?

also u thought 2x nexus fans were too loud ?

i guess worst case scenario would be having to cut a 120mm blow hole up top for a 2nd pa160

Yes, not only does it get fresh air, but after about three months I was really surprised that the fan filter (that I almost decided not to use), needed cleaning! This was a shock because I'm in the basement with hard flooring and no carpet anywhere down here. I've never needed fan filters down here, or so I thought.

The PA-160 really doesn't need much air.

Yes, surprisingly, the two shrouds in push-pull was loud, though a single shroud in push or pull, was inaudible with my Nexus fans. I think if I were to line the inside of the shrouds with foam, they would be inaudible in push-pull, but not sure.

This V2100B case is very roomy, has some nice features, but on the downside, it will amplify the very slightest source of noise. I've had much quieter cases.

Back