• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

be aware of dreamhost.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbq

they disabled my acct because i use too much bandwidth. i'll contact my bank to charge back. dreamhost sucks big time

me
hello tech support team. i don't know why dreamhost has disabled my acct and i tried to send the ticket about this issue to dreamhost but i don't hear
anything from dreamhost. can you tell tell my why it happened ?
thanks for your time

dreamhost
Hello,
your account was terminated for violation of our Terms of Service. We
do not allow uses to distribute copy written material.
Thanks!
Brian

me
Brian
is this permanently terminated or temporary ? did someone reported to
dreamhost about this issue? please re-enable my acct
thanks

dreamhost
Hello,

This is permanent. You were causing the server you are on to crash,
causing the service we offer to 500 other customers to fail.

When I looked into WHY you were causing that amount of traffic, it was
evident that you were posting copy written material.

Thanks!
Brian

me
well, it was what you think on your side you have no evidence at all . if a
customer uses too much bandwidth so you gonna say they're violating the
rule? it's ridiculus Brian. dreamhost needs a clear evidence before
disabling someone's acct not by guessing or whatever you thought in your mind

dreamhost
Hello,

The movie files you were severing were clear content violations. Sorry
about that.

Thanks!
Brian

me
there you go. thanks for telling me that the files in my host are illegal
movies. i'm surely that you don't know what they're. you take action against
the customers by guessing because the customers use too much bandwidth.

So... what kind of movies were you hosting? If they were copyrighted, then I don't see the problem. If they weren't, then that's odd...

the host provider they don't care what you host. they'll suspend you if someone report against you and they have no right to check what you have in your host, if they do then they're hackers.

check this file. illegal my butt
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bbfh6q

umm where did you get it and what exactly is it. I don't really have time to download it at the second.

You can't tell me that dreamhost shouldn't be allowed to pull things they worry about though becuase if they couldn't could you see the amount of child pron that would be posted there.

they're vietnamese karaoke for the PC and some of the short vietnamese joking movies, something like tv show

one more thing i want to tell you guys that their support is too poor. they don't provide phone # for you to contact, no live chat. what you can do is email them then wait. they'll get back to you in 24hrs may be a bit sooner

Last edited:
I would stay on the side of caution and say that the vietnamese have copyrights on their TV shows. If this one isn't and you cant find a copyright call back dreamhost and tell them that. They "may" relent.

they don't have phone support system. the only way contact them is email. the funny thing is that they provide a tera of bandwidth but when people use too much bandwidth they gonna say violating their rules. they don't know what you have but if your files use too much bandwidth they thought something is illegal and they gonna terminate your acct.
anyway i'll contact my bank to charge back what i paid for the service. under 90 days of transaction i have the right to get the money back

I think you're both right, and wrong. (this is just my opinion, and it should be known that I have been a dreamhost customer since last year's promotion and have been very pleased with their service)

IF the content is copyrighted, you have no foot to stand on. They're doing you a favor saying you're using too much bandwidth when, in reality, they could just turn this matter over to the authorities. It saves them time to just write you off, and no bad PR for them as a hosting company.

IF the content is NOT copyrighted, then you need to get written authorization from the publisher stating such, then present this information to them. IF at that time they still insist, THEN you have a case (at which time you contact the attorney general in the state they operate in or hire an attorney to get your $9 back).

What it sounds like to me is that you were taking full advantage of their generous bandwidth allotment, causing their cheap/promo server setup to slow to a crawl. It's virtually free hosting with full benefits, what do you expect? Certainly not dedicated servers. They really don't have a choice the way I see it, lose 499 potential long-term customers or one of you. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, maybe they just don't like midi Karaoke. :D

Save this and send it to them via email. Tell them to look harder next time. If they don't budge you have a case, even though if I was dreamhost I would probably just call your bluff and let you spend a bunch of time from your own life pursuing it...

If I understand executable development, you can't fake those tags (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

freeware_karaoke.jpg

Pinky ... the tags can be faked using version control feature of a compiler (like gcc or mingw).

Or take a screenshot in bitmap format and edit it. since the window's gray is a single shade.

slavik said:
Or take a screenshot in bitmap format and edit it. since the window's gray is a single shade.

Well that was my screenshot after running the program. But thanks for the info on editting executibles - I didn't know that...

If the material in question turns out to not be copywritten, i see no reason for them to not reactivate the account.

simply using the bandwidth given to you, whether or not it crashes their servers, is what you're paying for, and they should be able to keep their end of the deal, or not offer the service.

im not familiar with there usage agreement, and dont feel like reading and dont feel im able to give it a legal analysis, but there might be something in there about them being able to view the files, file details, something. if you had an mpeg that was 4 gigs titled 'hostel 2006 dvdscreener.mpg" its only asking to be ganked for copywritten material, even if the actual video is of you doing a silly dance. the file would look as if it was a blatant copywrite violation, and would be askin to be pulled. i would ask them exactly what files they are referring to, and how they decided they were copywrite violations. i think this is an important part, and calling someone out without presenting every bit of detail, might make you look bad.

Dreamhost is A+ in my books.

They offer a tera of bandwidth and there support is A+

I have a website labled "wasteofmybandwidth.com" people download tons from me, and i use almost all my bandwidth alloted. They have never threatened me nor suspended my account.

However, The content I offer is legal.

Not sure of your problem.

However I will ask one of the support guys to come here and discuss it with you? however If there is anything you dont want to share with us that you were using that host for. Then tell me now?

Back