• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum height of GPU block for SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad Maniac

Just a simple question before I start detailing the GPU block I'm currently working on. What is the max height a GPU block can be while still comfortably fitting between the cards in an SLI setup?

The maz4 is 1.25" or 31.75mm high, and people seem to be using it without problems, but are all SLI boards that generous on space?

On a side note:
Would YOU prefer a maze4 like setup with both in and outlet barbs facing in the same direction? To me it seems like if you could make the block with inlet on one side and outlet on another side at 90 degrees angle (see crappy ascii below) it could help tube routing a lot in SLI setups and otherwise. Are there any direct disadvantages of this that I'm not aware of?

Block:
.____.
|.'''''''''|__
|____|--OUT
...||
...IN

low profile versions do not cool nearly as well as the regular gpu blocks. However, the Maze 4 is already somewhat low profile, and many people have been able to use these in SLI setups. i dont know what motherboard you are using so i you are going to have to double check for yourself, but its possible.

Herr Rogers said:
Why not just get two of these:
Maybe because I'm designing new CPU and GPU blocks for a new upstart in the watercooling market, and we might be selling these to you guys pretty soon ;)

I'm not too concerned with maximizing performance either, these blocks are being designed with something else in mind.

as long as input an outpur barbs could be interchangeable it might make it easier. having to go from the side back to the front could make routing the tubing a bit of a PITA.

Bad Maniac said:
Just a simple question before I start detailing the GPU block I'm currently working on. What is the max height a GPU block can be while still comfortably fitting between the cards in an SLI setup?
The ASUS SLI boards (A8N and A8N32) have the cards 2-1/2" apart and nothing sticks up on the back over 1/8". As I recall the GPU sticks up less than 1/8" sooo..that should give you a good 2-1/4" to play with.

Attachments

• 6800GTSLI.jpg
    6800GTSLI.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Back