• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 120v pump for under $50?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sir_pyro

I need a pump for my chiller, and because it's off on it's own it's going to need a 120v pump instead of the more common now a days 12V type. It's going to need an OK amount of head to handle the 20ft or so of 3/8" tubing that is going run between the chiller and the comp, along with a home-made heat exchanger and maybe a water block. Noise is also a major issue for me, quieter the better! Flow… Well, what ever as long as it’s not horrible or any thing.

I hate asking stupid questions like this, but when it comes to 120v AC pumps I'm clueless.

You could probably also get a mag5 or 7 for ~$50 or less if on sale, though those models add more heat. And I have an (old) mag7 and its not really that quiet.

Alright. Any info on the noise levels of any of these? Seeing as part of the wanting to build a chiller is so I don’t have to run the rear radiator fan very fast, low noise is definitely a key feature I’m looking for.

I'm quite partial to the Via Aqua 1800 (its $16 & works well). I've never used the Mag pumps but iirc, the Mag5 has more head than the 1800 so it should perform better. If you look around, you may also be able to find an Enheim Compact or the 1046 (I forget if those two are the same) for ~$50

Dang... That Aqua 1800 is cheep! I'm probably going to pick one of those up for a backup pump at least, or if I decide to build any more crazy WC projects. -Edit: Do these things even have a input tube, or are they submersion only?

Any one know how bad the leek problem is on the mag 3's or how noisy they are? What about the leak problems on the seal (info I found in a search here on them), any info about how much the leek?

sir_pyro said:
Any one know how bad the leek problem is on the mag 3's or how noisy they are? What about the leak problems on the seal (info I found in a search here on them), any info about how much the leek?

My mag2 only dripped every now and then, and only when the cheap tubing torqued the pump face sideways.
It's a simple fix really, just remove 4 screws and add a smear of blue RTV to the o-ring and put it back together. You can re-orient the outlet's direction when you're puting it back together too (4 possible directions) which is handy.
DO NOT overtighten the screws though, it's easy to snap off the plastic posts that they screw into.

Also, don't use thread tape on the inlet. Use RTV to seal the threads, and twist it in by hand. It's fairly easy to crack the plastic female fitting on the pump. It will seal just fine, it's not like these pumps have to deal with a sh*t ton of pressure, so go easy on her.

Just went and looked at a Mag 2 at the pet shop, and I'm inpressed. Looks like I'll be ordering a Mag 3. Thanks for every one's help!

The mag 3 is the best pump. You need to use something to dampen the vibration and it is a reasonably quiet pump. Get a tube of Aquarium sealer and seal the front cover and barb threads. You need to be careful not to over tighten the barbs as this can crack the front housing. I'm using a mag 3 and a mag 7. The mag 5 dumps more heat without any real performance gain. I made a mount to absorb the vibration for about $4 in parts from Lowes:
Finnishedmount.jpg
This is a good place to get pumps

It's probably not going to be below 15c or so. If I'm lucky I might get down to 10c, but that's probably too cold with me still having the radiators and no insluation inside the computer it's cooling.

Soong said:
Dumb *** huge blury picture....

Good one.

There was a nicer way of saying that.

sir_pyro said:
ang... That Aqua 1800 is cheep! I'm probably going to pick one of those up for a backup pump at least, or if I decide to build any more crazy WC projects. -Edit: Do these things even have a input tube, or are they submersion only?

They can be run in line or submersible.

Enjoy the mag3. Definitely not a bad choice. What other parts are you going to use in the system?

The system the chiller is going to is an Athlon X2 3800+ running at 2.5 (2.6 when I feel lucky) and a EVGA 7800GT running at 470. The WC parts are a Land DDC moded with a 1/2" input, A Swiftech Appogie, MCW55, and a MCR120QP and a MCR80QP.

The chiller system is going to be made from a good Sunbeam water cooler, the Mag 3, a custom clear PVC res, home made heat exchanger, and some quick connect fittings for the hoses going into the comp. I'm expecting temps in the teens, and plan on running about 25% antifreeze to be safe.

Thanks for clarifying about those Via Aqua pumps having input tubes. Having a spare pump around won’t hurt any thing. Not to mention my dad seems to be getting interested in my WC projects, and might want me to build something to cool all the comps in his office. That or I may get mad at the chiller heating up my apartment and decide to WC it and run the radiator out the window or something. Just ordered one none the less.

-Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Back