• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In-Line Temp. Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
imo i wouldnt get it, for that price u could make you 2 if u wanted for the price of that but this is imo :)

easiest would be a T-line, some epoxy, and some standard meters like THIS.

This way you could pick a sensor you find visually appealing.

ahh, I see. How would I seal the T though? Would the wire get in the way of creating a seal.

Just tape the probe to some copper on your radiator and insulate the back side of it from the air. There is no reason the probe has to be in the water.

Agreed....sort of.
I'd just use a 2.5" piece of 1/2" OD copper tube in the line, and tape the probe to the center of it, cut the water tubing and install it with a couple of hoseclamps. Then there's no damage of water on the sensor tip, miniscule harm to flow, and no influence from the outside air changing the copper's temp.
Some probes are covered with simple tape, and when water gets into it the tape it will change the resistance of the probe thus giving false readings.

That's what I did with my Aerogate II because the probes are the taped kind, not the rubber dipped one's.

zebkoolindc said:
Just tape the probe to some copper on your radiator and insulate the back side of it from the air. There is no reason the probe has to be in the water.

If an accurate reading of your coolant temp is important to you, there's a good reason for the probe to be "in the water."

ƒÓÒl said:
Agreed....sort of.
I'd just use a 2.5" piece of 1/2" OD copper tube in the line, and tape the probe to the center of it, cut the water tubing and install it with a couple of hoseclamps. Then there's no damage of water on the sensor tip, miniscule harm to flow, and no influence from the outside air changing the copper's temp.
Some probes are covered with simple tape, and when water gets into it the tape it will change the resistance of the probe thus giving false readings.

That's what I did with my Aerogate II because the probes are the taped kind, not the rubber dipped one's.
Can you give me a little illustration? Do you mean tape it to the outside of the pipe?

my054runner said:
Can you give me a little illustration? Do you mean tape it to the outside of the pipe?

Yep, and Yep.

ThermalProbe.gif

my054runner said:
Has anyone had any experience with this Thermaltake Temp. Probe ?
The display is nice with the alarm and C/F readings, but the plumbing is useless. I just epoxied the sensor housing into a PVC tee (with the bottom exposed to the water, and put the probe in it with some AS5. Works great.

Perseus said:
If an accurate reading of your coolant temp is important to you, there's a good reason for the probe to be "in the water."

It's accurate. Your radiator is made of copper, and if you put a piece of foam on the back of it to insulate from air, at the most it would be .5 C off, if that. I've been using that method for a year now.

I have a temp probe taped to the back of my motherboard to read CPU temps, and it is more accurate than the onboard monitor.

sir_pyro said:
On the temperature sensor, do you put any type of thermal compound between it and the pipe or did you just tape it straight on?

I used thermal goop. And the copper is cleaned first with some ketchup, inside and out.
The tubing is bendable refrigeration tubing, super-thin wall with an OD the same as the tube's ID.
I made sure to deburr the tube well to. My cutter has a deburring tool on it that's like a triangle you force into the end. It also flares it slightly to make for a leak-free fit.

Use lots of tape to insulate well, and push the tubing up tight to it so there's no exposed copper.

And thanks Herr Rogers...you make me blush. :cool:

Back