• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PayPal takes money from wrong account

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scott d

I recently added a new account to my paypal, then I bought something with the new account. However, paypal took the money out of my old account, and now that account is overdrawn. I have called paypal, they told me I need to do a stop payment, and that the bank should do it for free. I tried to have them just take the money out of the account they should have taken in from in the first place, but they cannot change the account it should be coming from. I called the bank, and there wil be a $29 charge to stop the payment, on top of the $36 for a overdraw. What do you think my odds are of paypal transferring the money like they should have in the first place? I'm really at their mercy now, the guy I got on the phone was really not helpful.

oh yeah, i forgot to add, they guy told me the reason they took the money from the wrong account was that there was supposed to be a window that came up to confirm my changing accounts. I never got this window, and the guy said that it's buggy and that happens sometimes. So this is completely their fault.

When you sent the money, it should have asked what account you want to withdraw the funds from. Did you select the new account? If not, that is where your problem lies.

yes I did, and they say they cannot verify that I acutally did that, so they can't do anything for me. the girl i'm talking to now says that there is no way to stop the transfer no, no matter what I do. So i'm going to get another $36 overdraft charge

its your fault, even if the window didn't come up, when you send a payment, before you confirm it, it says which account its being drawn from. Just because you didn't notice that doesn't mean its not your fault

well no, that's the thing, everything was fine on that page, I always review that stuff because I'm anal about this kind of thing

Either way, I'm just going to have to eat that 36 charge, because they aren't being helpful at all.

Problem lies in the fact that eBay now owns Paypal, and although they sometimes go in your favor, the majority of the time you, as the consumer, get the shaft. If you are at all familiar with eBay, you're aware that their basic customer service is, at best, hands-off, or worse. Your difficulty lies in the fact that neither party can verify what you actually agreed to. At the very least, save all your communications with Paypal, so you at least have the basis for a complaint. Another suggestion, immediately transfer the needed money from 1 account to the other(though I'm not sure this will help).

Agreed. When making a payment, they try their hardest to get you to let them take it out of your primary bank account. I have both a bank account and CC linked to paypal ("requirement" for sellers to be verified by having a bank account linked) and each time I make a payment for something, the default funding source is my bank account. It's a bit hard to change it to CC. When I changed banks, what I had to do was remove the old account, sit unverified for a few days, and then add the new one. Two at once is IMO asking for trouble.

Remove the old account from PP now. IIRC, legally they can't touch an account that they don't have current permission for. SamSpade should give you a phone # for Paypal. I'd start calling them and try to get it fixed.

My solution has been to stop using paypal. Been 16 months now, and somehow I still manage to buy and sell the things I want on eBay. I have been using Bidpay on a few occassions instead, and since it just issues a money order payment and doesn't pretend to not be a bank (because it isn't, unlike Paypal which essentially is) I've avoided payment problems and people messing with my bank account. My last issue with paypal got ugly.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=334245

Yahoo offers an online bill-paying option, but I haven't used it personally, so I can't recommend it. Just an option for you to take a look at, though.

Looks like Western Union is always an option too. Thanks stool for the head's up on Yahoo, I'll look around a little first and see what people are saying about it.

Back