• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Deciphering Epox 8K7A+ manual

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boy914

Registered
Hi.

I have my AXIA 1.2 currently @ 1305 (9x145). The board is 8K7A+ and the memory is Corsair PC2400 CL2. I would like to go higher with the FSB, but I need a lesson in memory timings/voltages.

The book says that the DDR Adjust (2.5V) defaults to +0.1. Using jumpers, I can set it up to +0.4. Does this mean that my current RAM voltage is 2.6V, and I can go up to 2.9V? At what voltage to I need to consider ram sinks?

I would eventually like to go up to FSB = 167 to use the 1/5 multiplier, but I doubt I can do so and still have the ram at CL2. Which is faster: 155 @ CL2 or [email protected]? I see all sorts of x-x-x or x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x in people's posts, but I can't tell which x matches which BIOS setting.

Anyway, any thoughts on good voltages/timings would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Try 2.7v if you go more you might want ram sinks.
I use from top to bottom 8-8-8-2-6-2-2 with 512mb of crucial at 155mhz.

So, does this mean that I'm reading the manual correctly?

I have the same Mobo, RAM, and CPU as you do Boy914, and for the LIFE of me, I was NEVER able to get the FSB over 133 and have it be stable. Matter of fact, I even have to lower the FSB to 130 sometimes for full stability. If I go 1 MHz over 133, I become unstable, Half-Life will crash, and 3D Benchmark 2K1 will crash every single time. If anyone knows why I am having this problem please help! My RAM timings are as follows 16-8-8-2-2-2-2, and at these timings the RAM performs the best. I have had the CPU around to 1420 MHz with FSB at 133, but 3d Benchmark 2K1 and Half-Life was unstable and would crash. Best I"ve ever been able to do was 1333Mhz with FSB @ 133. In case any of you may be wondering what CPU Voltages I've tried, I've had it to 1.91, and RAM at 2.7v. I think maybe I just got a bad draw on the CPU straw! Any suggesstions would be most appreciated!

I don't know a whole lot about this sort of thing, but it could be that another component is causing the crashes. For example, your hard drives or you NIC card could be over-sensitive to FSB. Other than that lame answer, I'm at a loss. I'd personally go with your "bad draw" theory.

Good luck with the XP.

Rick

The newest bios seems to help with getting higher fsb's.
Might try that if you already have not.
Also make sure the cpu jumper is set to 133.

Troy2K said:
I have the same Mobo, RAM, and CPU as you do Boy914, and for the LIFE of me, I was NEVER able to get the FSB over 133 and have it be stable. Matter of fact, I even have to lower the FSB to 130 sometimes for full stability. If I go 1 MHz over 133, I become unstable, Half-Life will crash, and 3D Benchmark 2K1 will crash every single time. If anyone knows why I am having this problem please help! My RAM timings are as follows 16-8-8-2-2-2-2, and at these timings the RAM performs the best. I have had the CPU around to 1420 MHz with FSB at 133, but 3d Benchmark 2K1 and Half-Life was unstable and would crash. Best I"ve ever been able to do was 1333Mhz with FSB @ 133. In case any of you may be wondering what CPU Voltages I've tried, I've had it to 1.91, and RAM at 2.7v. I think maybe I just got a bad draw on the CPU straw! Any suggesstions would be most appreciated!

""The newest bios seems to help with getting higher fsb's.
Might try that if you already have not.
Also make sure the cpu jumper is set to 133.""

I do have the newest BIOS, and my jumper is set to 133.
Thanks for the reply though. :)

Last edited:
I have the Epox 8K7A+ an have been running my Crucial PC2100 @ 2.9v from first boot after install about 3 months, the memory never gets even warm. I have read where people are running there ddr @ 3.2v an have not seen or heard of anyone frying there memory yet. To reach 160 fsb you will need 2.8v an if you want to go higher you will need 2.9v. My mobo will do 174fsb (8882622) cas2 with the Crucial PC2100 @2.9v ddr. My 1.4 runs [email protected] with water cooling.

Back