• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sealing quick connect/disconnect for tubes running to chiller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sir_pyro

Are there any sort of quick connect/disconnect systems that can be found for a 3/8" tube system that would allow me to connect and disconnect an auxiliary chiller without having to drain the system of loose any water? My chiller is a secondary cooling system, to supplement the radiators in my SFF semi-mobile gaming rig. It's not something I particularly want to drag home or to a lanparty with me and the idea of having to drain and refill it's coolant loop every time I take my rig some where. So, what I need is a system where I can just unplug the chiller tubes from the back of the computer and go. Then when i get back, plug them back in and fire up the chiller and be good to go.

I know the original Koolance Exos had this type of feature on it, so I'm sure such a thing exist for liquids. I also know about (and use in my cannons) ones for air, but they are really restrictive along with only being one way. If it's one way, or two way does nto really matter though, because I can always add a valve to one end. McMaster has some things under the "Pipe to tube connectors" section under plastic pipe and fittings, but there is not really enough of a description there to know what I'm getting into or what I need.

I'm going to be running a Mag3 pump (over 10ft head), 20ft of 3/8" tubing, and a low restriction home made heat exchanger in the system. So, flow restriction wise, as long as it's not flat out horrible I'm good with it. Price wise, as long as I can get both tubes in for less then $40 (lower is of course better).

Jackpot! Those were the things I was looking at on McMaster, but now I have enough of a description to see what they are.... Now I just need to figure out whitch of those I'm going to need.

Any one ever try these things before?

Any one happen to know the dirrence between the HFC and NS6 series of connectors?

-Edit:
Never mind... The NS6 is the nicer type, but a bit more expensive. If I was one that was into looks more then function, I would have gotten the NS6 but the HFC was cheaper and did basically the same job.

Order placed! Usplastics has the best deal as well.

Last edited:
I ordered a few of the HFC series quick oneects found here

On that page, here are the item/modle numbers of the ones I ordered:
60688 3/8" Polypropylene In Line Hose Barb Shutoff - Coupling Body
60813 3/8" Polypropylene Hose Barb Shutoff - Coupling Insert
and for backup
60809 3/8" Polypropylene Male Pipe Thread NPT Shutoff - Coupling Insert

Now, the NS6 series quick connects are a bit nicer. Especially when it comes to looks and flow. They can be found here and should provide a little less pressure drop between the two sides of the connectors. There is a little less selection of these, but you should be able to find what you need.

I believe the differnce between the HFC and NS6 is how much they spill when disconnected. The NS6 are Non Spill. They loose very little but are more restictive than the HFC. I was considering buying some HFC's for my box but two of them was almost as much restiction as my Storm, and they are like $20 each and I needed 3.

Those are the same thing... Notice that they are HFC in the modle name as well? They are just rebranded.

The only thing that is restrictive in my setup are these couplers, and a bit of tubing so I'm not too worryed. Shure, my flow will ONLY be 2-3gpm or so because of these things, but hey that's probably the same speed as the flow in my main loop. Also the water is only flowing through two heat exchangers, thus a ton of flow probably wont help all that much here.

Back