• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sp2 = Pos!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK well its been about three months since i last reformated my comp.... and it despratly needs one cus yall know windows. N E way i thought b 4 i reformat i give SP2 a try, seems as how i have refused to update ever since it came out... I thought it was going to be cool and what not but i was deeply dissapointed... ITS HORRIBLE. DONT GET IT... it you have an SP1 disk keep it and NEVER update to SP2.

When i had SP1 i would run right around 25 Processes and about 108-110 mb of ram right after starup with no cpu spikes. With SP2 it runs at a woppin 38 processes and 180-200 mb of ram usage and about every 20 seconds it uses 10% cpu for ohh 1-2 secs... ****ES ME OFF. well im off to reformat and to stick with SP1... just thought id share.

man WINDOWS does rot over time.... its amazing how much slower it runs after a good 3 or 4 months of use.... Reformatting made ALL the difference.

nd4spdbh2 said:
OK well its been about three months since i last reformated my comp.... and it despratly needs one cus yall know windows. N E way i thought b 4 i reformat i give SP2 a try, seems as how i have refused to update ever since it came out... I thought it was going to be cool and what not but i was deeply dissapointed... ITS HORRIBLE. DONT GET IT... it you have an SP1 disk keep it and NEVER update to SP2.

When i had SP1 i would run right around 25 Processes and about 108-110 mb of ram right after starup with no cpu spikes. With SP2 it runs at a woppin 38 processes and 180-200 mb of ram usage and about every 20 seconds it uses 10% cpu for ohh 1-2 secs... ****ES ME OFF. well im off to reformat and to stick with SP1... just thought id share.

My sp2 - 19 processes - guess that sucks too,, using ~158mb of my 384mb of ram. 'CPU spikes of 10% for 1-2 seconds' they are normal.

^^^^that is a fresh install, no progs, just windows

now my main box running for 3 years and SP2 - 29 processes.

SP2 is not your problem.

Last edited:
nd4spdbh2 said:
man WINDOWS does rot over time.... its amazing how much slower it runs after a good 3 or 4 months of use.... Reformatting made ALL the difference.

Mine runs just as fast now as it did 3 yrs ago when I installed.

Windows runs just fine if you know what you're doing. Windows is a big YMMV thing... I can keep an install of windows xp w/ sp2 going indefinitely. My girl on the other hand (click this, click that, play this flash game... etc.) cannot. :rolleyes:

slipstreamed? nlite?.... w/e
Well, there's your problem. You're not listening to the solutions. :) SP2 isn't bad at all if it's slipstreamed into the install, and nlite can be a pretty handy little program.

^^ It definitely is a YMMV thing. My install is a few months old and still as quick as it ever was. It just takes a little basic maintenance, that's all. You can blame Windows for rotting, or you can blame yourself for bogging it down.

This is doing the equivalent of running it for 100,000 miles and not changing the oil, then blaming the car for not getting repaired on its own. And before we have Linux people talking about how Linux doesn't rot and Windows does, that's because Linux people know generally have a much better idea of what they're doing.

Back