• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Double or Triple Rad for Pentium D ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mixman

I have a Pentium D 920. I also have a Swiftech H20-120 Premium kit with the single rad. No matter which way I have tried it (Rad outside, Rad inside) my temps are pretty high....48idle and 65 load at [email protected]. The radiator is very warm to the touch.

I have come to the conclusion that a single rad is just not enough for these chips. I am going to build a new system from scratch and put this one on my AMD X2 system.

Should I go for a double or triple rad ? I am just cooling the CPU.

Could you recommend me a top of the line CPU only water system ?

Mixman said:
I have a Pentium D 920. I also have a Swiftech H20-120 Premium kit with the single rad. No matter which way I have tried it (Rad outside, Rad inside) my temps are pretty high....48idle and 65 load at [email protected]. The radiator is very warm to the touch.

I have come to the conclusion that a single rad is just not enough for these chips. I am going to build a new system from scratch and put this one on my AMD X2 system.

Should I go for a double or triple rad ? I am just cooling the CPU.

Could you recommend me a top of the line CPU only water system ?

what type of fan were you using on the single rad?

if you want a whole new system, not knowing your budget, though you did say top of the line...

Storm Cpu block
D5 aka the MCP655
and i would thing a BIX 2 would be fine just for cpu cooling. Though if you want a quiet system, go for a BIP 2 and you can used under volted fans. Panaflos, Sanyos, Yate Loons

Aidenswarrior said:
what type of fan were you using on the single rad?

if you want a whole new system, not knowing your budget, though you did say top of the line...

Storm Cpu block
D5 aka the MCP655
and i would thing a BIX 2 would be fine just for cpu cooling. Though if you want a quiet system, go for a BIP 2 and you can used under volted fans. Panaflos, Sanyos, Yate Loons

I am using a Siverstone FM121 fan with 112CFM. Who knows this may be a pump problem though.

Sine the Storm is getting really hard to find, what is the next best cpu block could I get ?

sidewindercomputers has the storm in stock.

Sounds like the pump is either borked or a clog in the system. I think a single 120mm rad could handle a CPU alone. Also have to tried remounting your cpu block? Your temp swings between Load and idel are huge.

Rekarp said:
sidewindercomputers has the storm in stock.

Sounds like the pump is either borked or a clog in the system. I think a single 120mm rad could handle a CPU alone. Also have to tried remounting your cpu block? Your temp swings between Load and idel are huge.

Nope unfortunately Sidewindercomputers is out of stock on the Storm.That is the firt place I checked. The Storm is getting harder to find.

I tried remounting and everything, the CPU block is hot to the touch so it does have good contact maybe it's the pump not pumping well.

I have a Pentium D 940 and a 2X120mm rad is working great for me. You can look at my signature for all the details. Those Black Ice extreme rads are worth looking at.

No plans for add GPU into the loop check out my video card....ATI 550.

Could I still use a triple rad or would a double be enough ?

hmm it seems lots of swiftech products are out of stock...

double should be plenty. Im running a Bip2 with a A64 3200 and a 7800GT with decent temps

Did you check to see if the CPU is making full contact with the waterblock? I had that problem when I installed mine.

CPU was only attached to 10% of the waterblock - booted up the system, and within 10 seconds overheated and CPU shut-down, very scary.

See sig below for what I'm running.

I have dual rads now, and idle temp is 32C and load is about 42C - thats with the water going through my DD Maze4 for the 7800 GTX.

I checked the CPU. The AS5 is evenly spread out on the IHS, also the water and block is hot as hell so it is making full contact. It's the rest of my system that isn't dissipating the heat.

M Powered....Which dual rad setup are you running ?

I’ll be honest and tell you I didn’t read the whole thread. I have a PD 820 and an X1800XT. I had a single 120 and it was woefully inadequate. I was upgrading and decided to go with a BIX3. The BIX3 is way more than enough but I wanted a lot of headroom, to be able to use the same rad if I went dual CPU, SLI or whatever on my next system. I think a 2x120 rad would be enough for a single Pentium D and video card with maybe only a difference of a few C in temps between a double and triple fan rad.

Do you have two fans on the radiator? if so check the direction of air flow arrows on the fans, make sure there pointed in the same direction otherwise they'll work against each other and will not cool your radiator. If they don't have any arrows then just take a piece of paper to the back of the fan to tell the direction of air.

I don't have two fans now. I have two single rads in there now, one up top and one below. I think now the pump doesn't have the ability to keep up with both rads.

So if I can't find a Storm block, which is the second best block ?

I use to run 2 Xeon 2.4 @ 3675 each and I never broke 43c with room temps at about 70f on average.That chip and the bonniville rad (Which i use) at auto zone would be a good set up imop.

If you cant find a storm, use an Apogee. Testing shows that the storm's and apogee's are just about equivalent.

I have a BIX2, 2 Panaflo's, and the Apogee on my X2 and it is more than enough.

I wonder whether it might be my pump that is not working to capacity. It is working, but it may not be working properly. All I know is that my system is not dissipating the heat properly.

Could it be my pump,or could it just be that this kit cannot handle an OC'ed Pentium D chip ?

All I know is I'm running 15 to 20 degrees cooler, so something is not right with your setup. But, I would think two 120mm rads would be enough. Do you have a partially collapsed tube?

I checked my tubes and they seem to be open. I think I am going to just put this system on my X2, which creates a lot less heat.

I am looking into buying a new system with these parts :

Aqua Extreme MP05 CPU block
BIPII or BIPIII radiator
Swiftech MCP655 pump
1/2" tubing
Tee Line with DD fillport

How does this system sound ? Would this system significantly lower my temps ?

Back