• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cross

Yes, I have been wasting the day away thinking about the design of a possible water-cooling rig. I figured that I could use my work environment to my advantage so I came up with this. I can finally use my education for something important.

It is conceptual but I did pull tech specifications "dimensions" of the components. It took about 5 hrs, but I was able to keep my composure, lol. The virtual mock-up helped me eliminate some flaws I had not seen.

Clan Thread: http://pub.theartofwarfare.net/modu..._14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=23154&2

The way I do it.

Phase 1: Steal Underpants...

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit

Just Kidding...

It's a South Park joke.

No really... have a design, draw it on in a special way on a CAD program, import it to a CAM program assign tools and run it on a CNC punching machine.

What do you think? Any design advice, mechanical or cosmetic?

I decided to post in the FC forum with hopes that I might get better feedback.

Material: .09 Alum and painted to match my case.

Overview:
Picture001.jpg

Cooler on the Case
Picture.jpg

Looking Internal:
Picture003.jpg

External View "Air-Way"
Picture004.jpg

UPDATE:

Very cool, a higher performance Exos system.

OK, two suggestions:

1. Run a filler tube from the res up to the top of the unit. It is best to fill from the top of an H2O system or you will mess with it forever trying to get the stinking air out. It also helps to keep the pump from sucking in air if you bump or move the system. Danger Den makes a sweet fill port for this purpose.

2. From one of the spare Res inputs or outputs run another tube that is capped off. Since the res is the lowest part it will help drain the system when you need to change water. You can also do this down in the case at the lowest point in the loop.

Update:

Does the thread size have anything to do with the dimensions of the tube fitting? Could this be a possible resrtiction?

It says it has a tube fitting size of 1/2".

ISA: BTW

**1/2" TUBE is always measured by outside dimensions.

**1/2" PIPE is always measured by inside dimensions.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=165

Thanks for your help JD.

JDRevise.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get how it's going together. Is that box with all your WC equipment inside going to be external? Or is it attached to your case somehow? I would have an intake fan instead of only 3 exhausts.

Actually I was going to make my rig exactly like that but instead got lazy!

My RAD is still external but I did not pretty it up by creating my custom fibreglass enclosure. I also did not mount my PUMP/RES on the top. The main reason I wanted to create the encloser was because my case could not fit my Sunbeam fan controller, and I was going to secure the controller to the encloser.

Oh and to Herr Rogers, the Fans are still going to act as "intakes" because they are still drawing air that has not been in the case. The unit is going to be completely isolated from the case it self.

good luck to you cross,
Bryan d

DSCN1077.jpg

Herr Rogers said:
I don't get how it's going together. Is that box with all your WC equipment inside going to be external? Or is it attached to your case somehow? I would have an intake fan instead of only 3 exhausts.

Yes the water-cooling unit is external. It's actually a seperate unit that will be secured on top of my case. The 3 fans pull air from the ports on the side of the little box through the radiator.

I was going to have the fans in a push config, but it was too tight and really didn't want to make the box any taller.

bump the rez up towards the top of the encloser so it sits higher than the pump. this will make the fill tube shorter, but that won't matter as the fill tube won't be full of water, only the rez will.

Back