• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it safe to keep the case open, when system is WC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

Well, the topic is pretty much my question.

My system is WC, and it will be about a week before I get to put all her guts (hoses) inside, so in the mean time the cover of the Computer is off. My question is, is it safe? I mean with the static dust, etc - flying around the air.

Please tell me this is a joke. Dust gets in your computer no matter what you do; you don't need to worry about anything. Some people, like me, leave the doors off their case 24/7.

For a while aidenswarrior didn't have any drives at all (2 optical and 2 hard) actually in his case, and he was fine. (he's got a wc setup).

Herr Rogers said:
Please tell me this is a joke. Dust gets in your computer no matter what you do; you don't need to worry about anything. Some people, like me, leave the doors off their case 24/7.
After all the questions you asked before/during assembly of your water cooling system, you should not mock anyone else.

M Powered said:
Well, the topic is pretty much my question.

My system is WC, and it will be about a week before I get to put all her guts (hoses) inside, so in the mean time the cover of the Computer is off. My question is, is it safe? I mean with the static dust, etc - flying around the air.
Dust should not be a problem. If you notice the dustbunnies piling up, just vacuum them out, but be sure:
1) You don't touch any of the expensive goodies with the vacuum nozzle.
2) You have one hand on the PSU screws the whole time.
and
3) You keep touching the opening of the nozzle to take away any static that builds up there.

The danger of running with your case open is not so much dust as other stuff that might fall in. For instance, a friend of mine lost her motherboard when her cat knocked an empty aluminum can into the case. But if you're careful, you can run without a case at all. Many people do this when starting a new build. It's such a common practice that DFI even has power and reset switches right on the mobo to use before you have it installed in a case.

Lol i personally dont see what people are so afraid of leaving their cases open.. ive caught my cat resting inside my case when he was a kitten because the fans kept him cool in summer xD

Ive yet to have a pc die from static, and i never bother to follow procedures like discharging myself, grounding, heck, ive built my a64 rig in sig on bare on the carpet.. it seems to me that people have done more damage to their pc following "safety" procedures than not following them

Careface*

static electricity discharge doesnt neccisarily kill a component but it can weaken resistors caps and other components. true that you prolly will never notice but it can shorten the life of anything even cause preformance loss. im as guilty as the next person for not following ALL the safety procedures but just keep in mind that blowing a mobo or other components is a worste case scenerio. went to a big seminar on static discharge and electric components lots of interesting information.

built my computer on carpet never even thought of the problems it might cause. also lots of fans = lots of dust anyways, but as long as you clean it out every once in a while it shoudln't do any permanent harm (enough of it on your heatsink can cause a rise in temps, but removing the dust will fix this and it shoudl return to normal).

Thanks for the reply guys, I guess I'll rest better at night knowing, no cats (don't have any) isn't sleeping inside my case :)

I have a canister vac that allows me to put the hose on the output side and use it like a blower. I unplug everything, take the computer outside and blow it out. This is much better than trying to vacuum out all of the dust with a nozzle. Nothing is touched by anything more than hgih velocity air.

I do not see why everybody is making a big deal about not doing antistatic proceedures while on carpet. Static charge buildup is a combination of factors, litterally starting at your head and going all the way down to your feet. If you build a system in an enviroment that is muggy as heck, static tends to not build up so much as in a dry enviroment. Your shirt, belt, shorts, socks, shoes, then floor all have an effect. I have seen some carpets build up so much static with me that I zap people after three steps, while other carpet(identical conditions, was stuck in the store all day while parrents tried to pick out carpet) I could not get it to zap no matter how hard I tried.
One final note is that I've been exposed to static control measures for most of my 17 years. Its to the point that I don't think about it most the time anymore, I simple realize that I've had my arm resting on the case while working on the computer after I take it off to put the case side back on.

Soong said:
After all the questions you asked before/during assembly of your water cooling system, you should not mock anyone else.
It wasn't even supposed to be mean. Please ignore my posts like you said you would have done a long time ago.

Back