• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slipstreaming WinXP SP2, Dangerous?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

OK, so let's think about this guys, you have a CD for WindowsXP Pro, SP1. And if you've done the install before, you know that there are several updates that Windows Update gives you long before it gives you the Service Pack 2 update. What this would mean (to me, logically) that if you Slipstream WindowsXP Pro SP2, you may miss out on those previous updates, intended to be installed before SP2 installation. Could this cause problems? Has it caused problems?

Can anyone verify if such a danger is real? I'm being lent a WindowsXP SP1 CD, because mine is faulty, and I want to know if Slipstreaming it will be dangerous.

SP2 includes all of the updates MS has released since XP's inception, so there's no need to install SP1 first, update your system via the WU site, then apply SP2.

Edit: I worded that wrong. I should've said "SP2 contains all of the updates included with and released since SP1."

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
SP2 includes all of the updates MS has released since XP's inception, so there's no need to install SP1 first, update your system via the WU site, then apply SP2.

All right, thanks a bunch redduc.

From having slipstreamed both, I found I had more success doing the slipstream from the original XP CD, as an attempt to upgrade from an SP1 slipstream to SP2 failed twice. However, going from the original to SP2 worked just fine.

I have slipped streamed SP2 into both XP original and SP1 with no trouble. SP2 contains all updates since the origianl XP. You do not need to install SP1 before installing SP2(but you can).

Z

Rather than slipstreaming the ussual way dl nlite, it lets you slipstream and service packs and hotfixes automatically and has a bunch of other windows pre install setup options.

Well it's all done, I just need to test if it works, BTW the process was very easy, and also very quick, slipstreaming rocks!

>HyperlogiK< said:
Rather than slipstreaming the ussual way dl nlite, it lets you slipstream and service packs and hotfixes automatically and has a bunch of other windows pre install setup options.

Ahh forgot about that thx.

Dngrsone said:
While you were at it, did you build an answer file? Makes the installation zoom.

Never did, nlite is helping me make one right now, this program is great!

Back