• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID0= can't install XP Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alchemy1

Hello everyone,

This is in reference to my P4 rig in my sig...

I just got an brand new retail copy of XP Pro (all legit). I have two 80gb hitachi SATA drives that I wanted to use in RAID0. I tried for 4 or 5 hours the other night and could NOT get it to install on the RAID. I could get to the "installing devices" stage of XP and it would just hang and then give me an error.

I tried unplugging the usb ports I had hooked up to the mobo, I tried using one stick of RAM, I made sure to load all of my RAID drivers, and I set up the RAID via my manual. None of these things worked. I even unplugged my speakers. Needless to say I just gave up and installed windows on one of the 80 giggers. Now I have windows set up as follows: OS on one 80gb hdd, other 80gb hdd is formatted and has nothing on it, and finally I have a 200gb hdd with all of my programs and music on it.

I know both of the 80gb drives are good, but I cannot figure out why I cannot install windows on them in a RAID configuration. Any help would be appreciated.

It seems to me it is a bios conflict setting... arent there multiple raid controllers on that board? Which controller were you trying to set the raid up on? I would use the ICH7R controller.... then you must make sure that the other sata controller(s) are set to not use raid... it can be very confusing, perhaps disabling the other controller that the raid is not on will help.

I was using the ICH7r controller, but I don't think I disabled the other controllers. Thanks for the tip.

Back