• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check Disk Will Not Run

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

i have pc of my brothers here and he cannot get check disk to run on it..

only for the main drive the other drive does it fine within windows...

when i check auto fix and reboot it just boots through as if nothing was scheduled...

when i select both boxes it boots up and displays -
"cannot open volume for direct access"

and then boots up to windows...

assuming it doesnt display for very long im sure it says the same thing for when auto fix is the only selected it just goes through so fast i cant see it..

anyways i have done google and have been looking through possibilities but no luck so far...

all updated (everything is)...

i asked if he made any chnages to his pc and he states no.. no installs or anything...

he did however state that avg discovered a virus when he visited a webpage. avg said it healed it and he closed site and did a scan and found nothing...

i have ran a scan again and did a norton online scan with out any luck..

ran spyware, malware, etc... nothing found

any ideas on what is restricting access ?? could it be avg changed access due to virus or would it not do that by itself ??

Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | "General" tab | Put a check in Diagnostic Startup, and click OK | Reboot. This will boot with a minimal configuration, and you'll lose all current restore points, so consider that before you do it... and make a restore point afterwards.

After rebooting try a chkdsk c: /f from the command prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK) and reboot. On the next boot just go back into the System Configuration Utility and put a check in Normal Mode (or whatever mode was previously set), OK and reboot.

ok ill give it a shoot ...

if that doesnt work i read this

"On occasion, you my encounter the following error when
attempting to schedule a CHKDSK for next reboot:

"cannot open volume for direct access"

Use NTHANDLE or one of the other tools to establish what
process is holding access to the drive. If this message
occurs during the reboot that should start the CHKDSK
process, then you need to boot into the Recovery Console
and run CHKDSK there. Also, verify that the firmware for
your disk controller is up-to-date."

courtesy of
http://www.ultratech-llc.com/KB/ASP/FileView.asp?File=/KB/ScanDisk.TXT

well no go on any of it

it did same thing when i re-booted with diagnostic startup....

and i booted into his recovery and it only gives option to re-copy sys files for a full fresh install or to copy system files with my saved data..

i dont think either is the way to go i need to find what is keeping it from doing so..

off to google i go ..

it did same thing when i re-booted with diagnostic startup....
You rebooted running Diagnostic Startup, then ran the chkdsk comand from the command prompt, rebooted... and chkdsk still wouldn't run on startup?
... and i booted into his recovery and it only gives option to re-copy sys files for a full fresh install or to copy system files with my saved data.
Did you type chkdsk /f from the Recovery Console? After running the chkdsk command from the RC, what's the exact message you received?

redduc900 said:
You rebooted running Diagnostic Startup, then ran the chkdsk comand from the command prompt, rebooted... and chkdsk still wouldn't run on startup?

Did you type chkdsk /f from the Recovery Console? After running the chkdsk command from the RC, what's the exact message you received?

yes i selected to run diag startup and rebooted.. after reboot i ran cmd and typed in chckdsk /f ... i rebooted again and it just started my computer normally without running check disk....

my recovery console is different...
i have one provided third party.. it only gives two options to recover. full fresh install (advanced) or do a minimal restore with basic system files, saving my data that is currently on the system..

i do not have a xp disc i can use at the moment...

can i boot into recovery without the disc ? or is there anything else i can try ??

Copy and paste the contents of your Boot.ini in this thread (Start | Run | Type Notepad c:\boot.ini, and click OK).

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Installing the Recovery Console normally adds the following line to the Boot.ini...

C:\cmdcons\bootsect.dat="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

... but since it's an OEM PC, I'm not sure how they added the Recovery Console to the boot configuration. If you wanted to add the Recovery Console to a conventional install of XP, you would need to run the following command from the Run box...

FolderPath:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Normally with an OEM PC, the winnt32.exe file is located either in the C:\I386 or C:\SP2 Files\I386 directory. What's the make and model of the PC? You could also try this...

Start | Run | Type services.msc, and click OK | In the Services list scroll down to the respective service (i.e. virus scanner or disk monitoring tool) | Right click on that particular service and select Properties | Change the Startup type to Disabled for any 3rd-party applications which might be causing the Chkdsk lock problem | Click OK and reboot.

Last edited:
well do you think it would be worth any destruction to run recovery and re-write sys files ??

or do you think that will cause more problems for me ??

im skeptical of doing so just because i have a gut feeling that its something else ..

well that was kinda annoying to talk with live chat ...

anyways he said to go to services and set all of them to manual and try it that way ..

he first told me to
start -services- control panel- devices

huh ?????

anyways i said can i just start- r-click my computer - select manage then services ??

he said yes ...lol

anyways im gonna try it i guess ..

anything bad that can happen from me setting all these to manual ?

never believe it ..lol

i finally started to unistall extra crap he could just re-download ..

it ended up being spyware doctor or a-squared...

i unistalled those two and rebooted and check disc ran fine ...

now i have to go back and reconfigure the services :(

anyways what a pain ...

Back