• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

winblows problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickyhoward55

..now theres a suprise u may say. lol. anyway. sometimes, usually after playing a game or browsing the internet, the explorer.exe process will shoot up2 100% usage, and renders my PC unusable. any clues? id prefer not to reinstall atm cos im changing mobos very soon and will have to do it then.

thanks.

oh yes. sorry. forgot about that. im running XP home edition service pack 2. ive run a full virus/spyware scan and it came back clean, ive also de-fragged.

The next time explorer.exe spikes to 100% CPU usage, take a pic of the running processes, save it as a *.jpg and paste it in this thread.

Might not have anything to do with your problem, but a recent attempt to add a second SATA drive to my setup caused the exact same problem, as XP was trying to access the second drive and failing, causing the usage spike. Have you added any new or changed anyhardware recently?

no. i last thing i added was a soundcard approx 6-8 weeks ago. i was getting an error beep during games and media playback, so i removed the card and tried it in someones system. worked fine. i uninstalled the drivers etc, then added it again and its been fine since. i do have a second sata drive but its been there since i got the pc.

ok, it locked up again. i hadnt been playing any games today tho, just photoshop stuff (lost the lot :bang head ). i also couldnt get a screenshot because my pc was locked solid, apart from task manager, that acted like nothing was wrong. the problem is the explorer.exe. it was using 99%cpu and 23792k memory. any clues? i also couldnt get a photo becuase i picked my camera up and the battery went flat.

You may try running a memory manager like CacheMan. I've had luck since installing it. The processor no longer flatlines at 100%

Photoshop, if I remember correctly, is pretty CPU-intensive. It does seem as if you have a harware problem. Try using your Event Viewer, and see what error messages are turning up when the freezes occur. This can be helpful trying to diagnose what is wrong.

stool said:
Photoshop, if I remember correctly, is pretty CPU-intensive. It does seem as if you have a harware problem. Try using your Event Viewer, and see what error messages are turning up when the freezes occur. This can be helpful trying to diagnose what is wrong.

as the pc freezes i cant access anything, the only option is to re-boot. does it save a log of errors? do you have any idea what parts could be failing?

Back