• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backing up Outlook express address book from a repair reinstall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwraith94

I just did a repair reinstallation of windows xp for a customer. She had her data backed up by the geek squad before giving me the laptop to fix. It is an HP machine, Windows xp sp2 with all updates. Outlook express ver 6. I have copied over all of her mail (.dbx), and two .pst files Archive.pst, Outlook1.pst to the proper directories. These two files were nearly 127 megabytes.

There was an additional file...Extend.dat that was only 2 kilobytes large. I cannot figure out where it goes. I did the repair install, but it left the old profile there, so I was able to use it as a template to understand which files go where. I scoured the entire backup dvd that the Geeksquad made (some 1.6 GB) and I cannot find any more outlook related files. The .dbx files were 507mb, surely she has an address book larger than 2k?

So I need to know where the extend.dat file goes, and what the extensions, or names of the address book files would be, I am supposing they are in the original install's profile (Owner) in a sub folder of Documents and Settings. Any help is appreciated, I have used google, and M$, and this is as far as I could get. TIA.

Red

Back