• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Those plastic hose clamps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Hey.

Does anyone know if any normal stores carry those plastic hose clamps? You know, the ones that have the little teeth and you sqeeze em together?

I'm moving forward on the finishing of my watercooling rig today, and will need to clamp. Like, one small thing came with them, and they're kinda cool.. I'd rather use them instead of the metal screw clamps.

Do home depot or lowes or anything like that carry the plastic clamps? Or will I need to get the metal ones for now?

Home depot and lowes should carry them. I know my Ace hardware carries them in the nuts and bolts section with all the bins. You might see if they have them in bins somewhere.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the little plastic ones to the beefy metal worm gear ones? Looks, ease of use?

They just seem a little insucure form my taste (tryed them, pull then right off and went back to worm gears), so that's why I'm wondering.

Yea i hate the plastic ones i tried to fit some onto my 1/2" tubing which came with my new cpu block... no joy! I couldnt get them to fit round the tube and the barb went back to my trusty metal ones which take less room and there better imo :)

Well.. looks and ease of use were what I was going for... but I couldn't find em anyways.. so worm drive it is.. maybe later I will replace them.

Swifty Apogee comes with the plastic hose clamps, and I couldn't use them even if I wanted too. There's not enough room between the two tubes if you use 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing. I just used two inexpensive worm gear clamps from Home Depot. Much better, and believe it or not, they BARELY sneak past each other between the tubes until you can tighten them up.

Don't bother with the plastic ones. Cheap and not very trustworthy IMHO.

Meh, clamps are overrated. I only use four in my entire setup, on the blocks themselves.

wipside1tz.jpg

My tubing is stretched tightly over all the barbs, it would take quite a bit of effort to pull them off. How often is anyone going to be tugging on the connections? Even if it does leak when I'm working on the case, it would be powered down. 7/16" ID tygon tubing over 1/2" OD barbs FTW.

It's probably secure without the clamps, I put them on for peace of mind. I like the metal worm ones a lot better than the plastics though. They seemed pretty flimsy.

Back