• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using 2 120mm fans as opposed to 4 120mm fans - any real benefit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

Does anyone use 4 fans on their dual rad setup?

I have two 120mm fans now and they are working out great. My load temps are 48C with dual prime running for about 1 1/2 with 3dmark 05 looping.

Will adding an additional 2 fans help?

Right now CPU temp is still lower than ambient - at idle :)

Only a few c different 3-4 at the most, depends on your setup really. Btw theres no way your idle temp can be below ambient, theoretically with water you could get temps the same as ambient, but achieving it is another thing.

No, you cannot achieve ambient on watercooling - you can approach it, but never achieve it.

if you want to undervolt your fans for more quiet then adding 2 fans MAY help if thier comined added noise is less than the decrease in the undervolted fans noise diference

so tbh it really is a subjective idea of both money and hearing ability

Generally more air is better, but it takes a bit of digging into charts to see how much better. I'd suggest that if yoy have the time/money/space then go for it. And Thorilan's suggestion of controlling fanspeed/sound would also be worthwile.

If you're not using 38mm fans, they may be a better way to go than 4X25mm fans.

It also depends on what fans they are and what rad it is... and how fast the fans are running etc.

Back