• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JusWes

Well ladies and gentlemen, i am a new member here as you can see and i have a small question. i have received all the parts for my pc
AMD 3200 venice core
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
OCZ Voltage extreme eL DDR400 Dual Channel
WD Raptor SATA 74 Gb
Seagate 160 gb hdd
OCZ Powerstream 420watt
Blue Sunbeam Transformer Gamer Case, Full-Tower
Asus Extreme EN7800GTX 256MB pci-e

That is to give you a idea of what i have now to the question:

i am going to run a koolance 420SL Liquid Cooling system
cpu waterblock- koolance cpu cooler
gpu waterblock koolance gpu cooler
memory waterblock - Koolance Ram Dual memory Liquid cooler
HDD Cooler - 2 - koolance hard Drive cooler with hydra pak

Now since im trying to cool 5 different things i had this ingenius idea

run one hose to the cpu from the koolance liquid cooling system - hose goes to gpu - Hose goes threw another water pump - then threw another radiator mounted on back of tower with 120mm fan - then threw memory water block - then threw 1st and 2nd hdd cooler - then back to the Koolance liquid cooling system.

Is this idea overkill or a good idea? I have not put the computer together yet i am waiting on some ideas. Yes the cpu / vid card / memory will be overclocked.

I have put all the information that i can think of, tell me if there is any other information that you would need.

Did you already buy the koolance setup?

Also are you set on water cooling the hard drives and memory? It really isnt needed.. good air circulation is plenty in most cases.

Yup i have already purchased the koolance setup for the cpu / gpu

i have not purchased the memory / hdd coolers

Nope im not set on the memory / hdd cooler, just curious as if would be a great deal of help to keeping the system nice and chilly :)

The hard drives should be just fine.. if you plan on overvolting the memory (more than 3V.. spec is 2.6-2.8 generally) you may want to find some way to mount a fan over them.. but watercooling will more than likely only hurt performance on the rest of your loop.

Well, thats why i planned on using a 2nd radiator / water pump, The Koolance system i bought has a water pump / radiator installed already in it. :)

hm, But i think im just going to purchase a vantec dual fan cooler for the 74gb raptor drive and either try to find something or design / build something to cool the memory a bit more if you dont think water cooling is the way to go there.

Thanks for the Info i shall place some updates on the system when i get it going, im still missing one core component, the damn Lcd
( cant remember everything when ordering and excited right? )

JusWes said:
Nope im not set on the memory / hdd cooler, just curious as if would be a great deal of help to keeping the system nice and chilly :)
The only reason to cool mem/hdd is if they are too hot to function properly. Are yours too hot?

billb i have not even put the system together, i want to make sure iv got everything i need for the watercooling before i go to putting it together :) Plus iv got to cut a nice hole in the top of my case of the koolance system i bought.

I was just figuring since i was running a 10,000 rpm HDD and memory that will be over volted that i should water cool them.

But after reading a bit more, iv decided to only cool the cpu / gpu and aircool the HDD and memory.

waste of money to cool ram and HD for the average or even above average person. only people with a lot of time money and a very specific idea of what thier goals are should cool HD and memory with water

JusWes said:
I was just figuring since i was running a 10,000 rpm HDD and memory that will be over volted that i should water cool them.

But after reading a bit more, iv decided to only cool the cpu / gpu and aircool the HDD and memory.
The only time I've had a HDD cooling problem was when i stacked 4 HDDs without enough space between for sufficient airflow. I had slit some 1/2" PVC tubing and slipped it over the sides of all the HDDs and then strapped them into a "pack" with zip ties...thereby covering the place (sides) where most heat is dissipated. The middle two got really hot! But with the addition of a 92mm fan on the end of the "pack" all was good.

Groovy, thanks man. im going to go ahead and build the system today, waiting on my LCD to get here

Back