• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

take pitty on a n00b-> leak testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
ok first off what I have
820d with a P5WD2-Premium
4 X1 gig pc 533
evga 7800 gt

w/c gear
mcp 350 pump
black ice micro rad
dd maze 4 acetal
6000-775 waterblock

what I want to know is a very basic question. How would I do a leak test with this setup without hooking it up to the parts themselves? :shrug:

would I set everything up but not put it on the actual compenents themselves.

I did a quick search of the forums but didnt find quite what I was looking for. If i missed it please link me :)

thanks

Dont put the expensive components into the case. When I did it I mounted the rad, then measured the tubing. Hooked it all together, then put in the PSU. On the ATX connector you have to short 2 pins (a paperclip works great), usually they're the green and black wires. I think they're the 3rd and 4th pins on the clip side. That will let you turn on your PSU without being connected to the MB. Plug in the pump, fill, and let her rip. Assuming there isn't a catastrophic failure, every 30 minutes feel around the barbs and make sure nothing is leaking out. If you have a slow leak around a barb, use plumber's tape to shore it up.

I did it this way as opposed to connecting everything together outside the case so that when it passed my leak test I didn't have to load everything into the case, all the WC components were already in there. There was enough slack for me to move the waterblock and pump around to sneak the MB in underneath.

Last edited:
Rev said:
short 2 pins (a paperclip works great
Yup forgot that. I actually went ahead and bought one of those little plug in connectors. With a baby running around, its good to know he isnt going to go after a shiny object and get electricuted.

thanks for the links guys.
I was aware of the pin mod for the psu I just wasn't sure if thats what people meant by leak testing or not (it was what I was going to do anyways)
:D

Back