• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why someone would NOT watercool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

Honestly, ever since I WC my system, I ask myself "Why do people air cool?

Can't be price because for another $100 bucks, you can get yourself a bad-*** WC setup.

Leaks are almost non existent if you are a compitent installer and know where your hoses are going.

Also it runs A LOT quieter.

Because I can't afford a watercooling setup that won't break what little I have in my wallet? On top of that, most people go to watercooling for silence or 'quieter' operating, don't they? I don't see how having 4 fans pushing 100 ~ 150CFM each is quiet...

I would go WC cooling if I could but i can barely scrape up 100$ to spend on much of anything, and with 100$ you (at least i think) can't get a decent WC setup...(GPU/CPU in the loop)

M Powered said:
Can't be price because for another $100 bucks, you can get yourself a bad-*** WC setup.

Since when? That statement is not true, I've never known it to be at least.

I couldn't even put together (list) what I thought was a "badass" and cheap, WC system that didn't even include a Resovior and a GPU WB.....couldn't get it under ~$200

Now were you not just considering phase recently M Powered.. are you going to make gernerlized statments about people not using phase change cooling when you switch to it?

I used to have a fairly kick-*** watercooling setup, but I switched back to air for weight and safety reasons. I move my PC a lot, it gets knocked around, turned upside down, ect., and weighs enough as it is. Also, I really can't complain about my modded Freezer64. 250 x 10 @ 1.4v runs about 43c load, ambient around 26c, and its very quiet.

Some people dont overclock and just want a simple maintenance free systems. The newer larger heatsink/fans offer great performance and can be dead quiet. Water cooling setups generally are going to cost 200+ so price would be a factor for alot of people. Also those that frequent lan parties, moving around WC systems can be a hassle.

There are many very good reasons to use Air cooling instead of water.

There are also many very good reasons to prefer water.

People have reasons to prefer ATI or NVIDIA, Intel or AMD.
There are some good reasons to choose an Apple computer too, and many people choose them. A lot more choose more traditional systems, also for very good reasons.

I've even heard that there are good reasons to choose Windows over Linux, although I haven't heard any myself. ;)

Point being, there are a lot of choices to be made about computers and good reasons for EITHER choice for any option you can think of- just depends on each person's needs, desires and preferences.

I choose watercooling for everything I can for two main reasons:
I enjoy the process
Safety

I have had quite a few parts damaged due to fans that failed.
I have never lost a part from water cooling that was NOT due to my own choice to experiment or leave a minor leak for a while.

I use H2O on every LAN rig I build (currently 2) and every computer I personally have running, except for initial testing purposes.
5 water cooled machines and one in the house on air - an email/web browsing station.
I have air cooling parts for one socket A system and one socket 939 system.

But those are MY choices. :)

rogerdugans said:
I use H2O on every LAN rig I build (currently 2) and every computer I personally have running, except for initial testing purposes.
5 water cooled machines and one in the house on air - an email/web browsing station.

5 water cooled machines.....wow...... :p

M Powered said:
Honestly, ever since I WC my system, I ask myself "Why do people air cool?

Leaks are almost non existent if you are a compitent installer and know where your hoses are going.

Also it runs A LOT quieter.

Perhaps they don't want the added hassle, expense and care required to maintain a functional water-cooler. IMO, it's just easier for people to run their rigs, and lives, as they see fit, and without being called out for it.

Most people here have hit on the major issues. Considering it is only $60 for a very good air setup MSRP (let alone some of the deals you can get!) the $250 I spent seems a bit extreme.

I'm very happy with my WC setup and wont ever go back to air, but I can understand why people stay on air.

Yea ive hit many issuses.... leaks, waterdamage and time are the biggest ones specially if your a cluts like me :p

I paid 189.99 for my kit. The kit came with dual BlackIce rad with two 120mm fans, 12ft of hose, CPU water block, pump with built-in resevoir.

The only thing I added with an external reservoir and a DD Maze 4 VGA block.

My particular kit costed over $200.00 But I've seen kits with single rad and one 120mm fan for a lot less - so definitely under 200 dollars for a WC kit is very obtainable.

Yes, I would agree fan cooling is very convenient - especially if you move your computer a lot. As for someone who OC's I think water cooling is a MUST.

As for the phase change, I think I'm going to hold off - I don't plan on doing some crazy clocks as some of the board members here do.

I guess the bottom-line is maintenence.

I dont switch becuase my air temps are better than your water cooling temps. Also because its cheaper.

I was very close to switching to W/C for a few months a while back but I couldnt bring my self to spend the 300 bucks to get the good parts and then there is the risk of me not knowing what I am doing and killing my PC. Air doesnt kill your PC. And now, with the OCZ phase change unit, I can get really good temps for the same price as W/C. But I wont for a while at least.

CPU : Idle 27c Load 36c

Your GPU temps are prolly better but will see when I get my after market heatsink and fan for it.

i think my temps are good enough right now. check out my sig for numbers.

i might go WC after when i have more money and such.

but right now im a student and not that weatlhy.

maybe ill WC after i upgrade to a 3.2 ghz processor and oc that like crazy.

but im afaird of leaks, and it seems really complex and seems like it would diffently take some time, and my entire cooling system cost me 16 bucks

WaTTz said:
I dont switch becuase my air temps are better than your water cooling temps. Also because its cheaper.

I was very close to switching to W/C for a few months a while back but I couldnt bring my self to spend the 300 bucks to get the good parts and then there is the risk of me not knowing what I am doing and killing my PC. Air doesnt kill your PC. And now, with the OCZ phase change unit, I can get really good temps for the same price as W/C. But I wont for a while at least.

CPU : Idle 27c Load 36c

Your GPU temps are prolly better but will see when I get my after market heatsink and fan for it.

Don't even think Phase Change is easy either, there is a huge risk of killing parts due to condensation, and extra, extra, extra insulation is needed, it's not easy stuff.

jcw122 said:
Since when? That statement is not true, I've never known it to be at least.

I couldn't even put together (list) what I thought was a "badass" and cheap, WC system that didn't even include a Resovior and a GPU WB.....couldn't get it under ~$200

Under 100 you gotta go with either used or a cheap 120v pump such as the ehiem compact or the via aqua.

blocks can be bought for <40$ new
Rad can be bought 29$ for a BIP and 35$ for a BIPII
a 50$ csp mag will put you just over the 100$ mark, something used or a 20$ ie ehiem compact will put you under the 100$ mark.

Throw in a GPU block and your still under the 200$ mark.
IDK what you mean by "badass" but the difference between that system and whatever you call badass is gonna be close enough that you will have trouble measuring the difference.

The 3-400$ standard in WCing forums is certainly driving people away, few need this kind of complicated setup and many are even driven away by the hassle if the price doesnt stop them in the first place.

ls7corvete said:
The 3-400$ standard in WCing forums is certainly driving people away, few need this kind of complicated setup and many are even driven away by the hassle if the price doesnt stop them in the first place.

And to add a bit to what ls7corvete said-

The performance most people get with a $400 system is generally NOT a whole lot better than what can be done for half that.
Seriously.

I'm talking a range of 2 to 8 degrees c, for most people.

Safety issues, redux:
Phase Change was mentioned-
That is when you start getting into some tricky stuff, man. Condensation requires a LOT of care and precautions to prevent....
And if you get condensation, it will ONLY happen when the system is powered up, and it WILL kill things, without doubt.

I would absolutely NOT suggest anyone who things H2O cooling is dangerous try Phase Change.......

I have messed with it a bit and decided that it was more hassle than it was worth, for me......and I am the guy who has 5 H2O systems and has watercooled power supplies!

Phase Change= best temps but the most work and greatest chance of damage
Air= cheapest and easiest but if a quiet fan dies you may not know...and your hardware may die too.
Water= can be fairly cheap or very expensive. Good performance levels. Extra safety for your expensive components.

rogerdugans said:
And to add a bit to what ls7corvete said-

The performance most people get with a $400 system is generally NOT a whole lot better than what can be done for half that.
Seriously.

I'm talking a range of 2 to 8 degrees c, for most people.

Safety issues, redux:
Phase Change was mentioned-
That is when you start getting into some tricky stuff, man. Condensation requires a LOT of care and precautions to prevent....
And if you get condensation, it will ONLY happen when the system is powered up, and it WILL kill things, without doubt.

I would absolutely NOT suggest anyone who things H2O cooling is dangerous try Phase Change.......

I have messed with it a bit and decided that it was more hassle than it was worth, for me......and I am the guy who has 5 H2O systems and has watercooled power supplies!

Phase Change= best temps but the most work and greatest chance of damage
Air= cheapest and easiest but if a quiet fan dies you may not know...and your hardware may die too.
Water= can be fairly cheap or very expensive. Good performance levels. Extra safety for your expensive components.

8c is a bit extreme even, imho.

Back