• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas on dual pump setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Most of you are probably well aware of my recent Project "Brain Freeze" WC setup and article. If not it can be viewed here: http://www.strippoli.com/water/
or here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=437178

My question today is for members experienced in dual pump setups. Because I will be fabricating an external enclosure for my pump/res/radiator the total amount of tygon 1/2 ID tubing used for my project exceeded 12 feet in length. I read somewhere that my D5 pump is theoretically maxed out at a 10 foot tubing length.

Do you guys think I would benefit in flow-rate and a few degrees temperature drop by ordering another D5 pump and installing it right behind the other in a series?

Thanks in advance.
Dom

I am new to water cooling however from what I know about water pumps and water pressure in general, it might be a better idea to put the second pump somewhere further down the line so that the pressure is equal through out. I would think that maybe half the distance in the loop for each pump should give you adequate pressure. then it's much easier work for your pumps.

Pump#1====Radiator====Cpu====Gpu====Pump #2====rReservoir

all this of course if you have a long line, which 12' would definately qualify as being long. You could always look at getting a bigger pump perhaps if this doesn't work.....somewhere in the 700 gph range maybe with a higher head pressure. :cool:

Last edited:
metloaf said:
I am new to water cooling however from what I know about water pums and water pressure in general, it might be a better idea to put the second pump somewhere further down the line so that the pressure is equal through out. I would think that maybe half the distance in the loop for each pump should give you adequate pressure. then it's much easier work for your pumps.

Pump#1====Radiator====Cpu====Gpu====Pump #2====rReservoir

all this of course if you have a long line, which 12' would definately qualify as being long. You could always look at getting a bigger pump perhaps if this doesn't work.....somewhere in the 700 gph range maybe with a higher head pressure. :cool:

Thanks for your advice.
From what my understanding is, is that there are two ways to go about a dual pump system. The first way would be a parallel system with two pumps side by side dividing the tubing by using Y-Adaptors. The second method would be installing dual pumps in a series following one another. Both methods increase flow rate and give you a redundancy or backup if one fails.

I want to know if by adding a second pump to my 12' long tubing WC rig, I can gain any temperature drops.

Dom

I'm running two MCP655's like this:

Pump->Res->Pump->Rad->CPU->GPU1->GPU2

I've never had them configured in any other way and my temps are outstanding. I wish I could offer alternate advice, but this config works for me.

from what I've read having two pumps in series increases max head, while having two pumps in parallel increases flowrate.

I have an external loop and up until the end of Dec I had been running fine with a single Hydor L35.
I'm pretty sure I've got like 10~15ft of tubing in my loop. though I used 5/8"ID tubing in the external box, and 1/2"ID for the rest.
when the o-ring failed I decided to get an iwaki MD20RZT to replace it (a work in progress).

so unless you're planning on getting a Storm anytime soon, I think you should be alright with a single pump.

Back