• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fluids and Reservoirs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterG

A couple questions. First of all, I am planning on getting the Danger Den MCT-40 thermal solution. I'm not sure that it is going to be enough to fill up my entire system though. I figure I can just top it off with some distilled water, are my assumptions correct? Is MCT-40 a good solution to go with?

Second of all, I'm debating between a single and double 5 1/4" bay reservoir. What would be the advantages and difference between the two? Thanks.

MasterG said:
A couple questions. First of all, I am planning on getting the Danger Den MCT-40 thermal solution. I'm not sure that it is going to be enough to fill up my entire system though. I figure I can just top it off with some distilled water, are my assumptions correct? Is MCT-40 a good solution to go with?

mct should be used by itself and should not be mixed. that is its purpose. you basic waste money if you mix it with distilled and should just use distilled with anti-freeze and a little iodine.

90:10 distilled to anti-freeze with a couple drops of iodine. cost you probably around $11-13 and you will have plenty left over if you have to refill.

The difference between the two is really up to size. People use the dual bay res to have the front of it showing from outside of the front of their cases. To me, it really is a waste of space. I would use the dual 3 1/2" acrylic res from them as it takes up less space and still gets the job done. Or you could get a Swiftech Microres. I would avoid the polyethylene one as there is a tendency to tighten down the barbs too tight and crack the barb housing.

Same as above about the MCT vs distilled, etc. - either go one way or the other

Well I've got a gallon of distilled sitting here so I might as well take advantage of it. I found something on Danger Den's site called Zerex Super Coolant, should I just use that as an additive? There's also something called HydrX by Swiftech, Royal Purple Ice Super Coolant Additive, and Watter Wetter on voyeurmods.com.

I'd recommend staying away from the water wetter, but you can use any of the other stuff you mentioned. Most of us use like 10% antifreeze (the extended life seems to work well) or maybe 20% if you have mixed metals, and a few drops of iodine to make sure nothing grows. You can get antifreeze in just about any color you want, and/or you can get dye to color it if you want to.

Ok I appreciate the advice, I think I'm going to go with the Swiftech Hydrx Coolant. Looks like it covers all the bases, corrosion, oxydation, algae formation, and improved heat transfer. It's also only going to cost me 8 bucks to treat the whole gallon.

The hydra-x will work ok, it just gets expensive after a while when you look at flushing/refilling, especially if you are like me and seem to change things out and mess with my setup every few months. I also despise green, so I use VW blue antifreeze and a few drops of iodine.

It's green!??!?!

I think I might revise my last statement. I need something blue for this case, especially if I use a clear reservoir.

MasterG said:
It's green!??!?!

I think I might revise my last statement. I need something blue for this case, especially if I use a clear reservoir.

most antifreeze is green, but it doesnt even really affect the water color that much anyway. just get some blue dye and you are good to go. i recommend the stuff from clear cases.

Back