• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pressure Gauge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

my054runner

I know I've seen it somewhere on this site so I didn't come up with this on my own but I thought it would be cool to see what the pressure is inside my loop. Could I use any old pressure gauge from HD or is there a specialized and sealed water pressure gauge? Looking online, I was trying to find something with a digital readout to put in the front of my pc but couldn't find anything that would really work.

No I just wanted to see what the psi was with the water pump turned on and the water flowing. The resistance from the blocks pushing back on the pumps should create some pressure in the lines, correct? I just wanted a way to see what the pressure was.

I get what your saying, but there really isn't much pressure inside the loop. What you're really looking for is a flow meter. If you really want to measure the pressure you'll have to find something pretty sensative. Most meters youre going to find are not really intended for a cooling loop with variable pressures. And you'd have to buy several of them because the pressure is different at the pump intake, pump output, cpu block intake..... you get what i'm saying? But don't let me or anyone else stop you, heck if i had liquid cooling, i'd have all kinds of meters hooked up just because i go way overboard with everything i do.

Gotcha, thats what I thouht. Its a cool idea but I didn't know how much pressure there would actually be.

An electronic pressure gauge would make a great safety alarm. A -ve pressure from your pump could be measured with a T-fitting then monitor the vacuum pressure of the pump and the computer's state(on/off). If a blockage or restriction happened, the pump would not work as well and pressure would change. Same with water viscosity and level or pump failure. Even the dreaded blowout could be sensed(It would be too late but the alarm would go off before the system was drained). A flow meter would do the same but adds a restriction to the circuit or it would be very large in size. Also no moving parts. Some issues with temp/pressure and system startup would affect design but could be solved.

weird, my buddy recently asked where he could find a good, cheap pressure gauge. Im not exactly sure what he is using it for, but if you guys know of any good places....

Back