• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32-SLI any downsides to watercooling chipsets and MOSFETs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sxxb

I've already purchased waterblocks for MOSFETs, Northbridge and Southbridge. But now I'm having second thoughts about removing stock heatpipe because I've seen posts from people here saying that these components run cool with stock hardware and without optional fan.

The downsides of cooling the above mentioned components in addition to CPU and GPU are threefold as far as I can see:
1 - Four additional waterblocks(2 mosfets, NB, SB) will warm up water more and probably add a couple degrees to processor temps.
2 - Four additional block will require more work for the waterpump, most likely decreasing the flow rate
3 - MOSFET water blocks are 1/4 OID and the rest of my system is 3/8 OID. THerefore, I will have to use two reducers - one before the MOSFET water blocks and one after to go back to 3/8 tubing just before the radiator. Not sure how bad using reducers is for the flow rate/preassure drop, etc.

I would like to hear some OPINIONS on this and your VOTE:
A-watercool everything
B-only watercool CPU and GPU
C-makes no significant difference either way.

Thanks MUCH!

Don't think it's worth it for all the negative reasons you listed. I haven't had heat from the motherboard hold back my overclock and I finally got it running at 310HTT so far. Making my 165 something like 2.79ghz.

Biznatch said:
Don't think it's worth it for all the negative reasons you listed. I haven't had heat from the motherboard hold back my overclock and I finally got it running at 310HTT so far. Making my 165 something like 2.79ghz.

Thanks for reply. BTW, what voltage is your opteron running at? What motherboard?

1.3125 + .2 overvolt so about 1.52 volts. And the same board as you. I'm also using that little squirrel wheel fan on the heatsink that came with the board.

Biz, have you fed the squirrel that came with yours? Mine keeps squealing like he's hungry or something. That little fan is LOUD by comparison to the others in my system. High pitch whine.

I'm gonna try taking it out.

Back on topic,

I vote B. Don't watercool these components.

Back