• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice watercooling 7800 gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sxxb

I bought Asetek WaterChill kit and it includes a GPU water block. I was also planning on using OCZ BGA Copper memory heatsinks.

However, I have a dilemma. Asetek GPU block doesn't cover the back of a GPU(on the back of the card), while my stock eVGA has a heatsink on the back of a video card.

Is that a problem? Do I even need a GPU heatsink in the back of the card if I watercool?

I own an eVGA 7800GTX as well. No pun intended but there is no "GPU heatsink" on the back of the card. That is whats called an aluminum/plastic backing plate. Five black screws hold it in place I believe. You need to pull a little harder than normal and pry the backing plate off. It may feel a little tough and tight because it is actually sticking to 4 memory heatsinks with thermal paste and pads applied to them. You need to fully expose the back of this card and apply 4 more ramsinks.

So, in total you will need to order 8 ramsinks for this card.

Good luck. And BTW- You will absolutely love the performance gains you get from water cooling a 7800 GTX. Absolutely phenominal!!!

Dom

Last edited:
I just ordered the same set-up. I have a Danger Den MAZE4 coming with the OCZ ramsinks for my Leaktek GTX. I should be up and running next weekend so I'll let you know how it goes then. Actually just check-up on my project log and I'll be updating that.

dominick32 said:
Dude.
I own an eVGA 7800GTX as well. No pun intended but there is no "GPU heatsink" on the back of the card. That is whats called an aluminum/plastic backing plate. Five black screws hold it in place I believe. You need to pull a little harder than normal and pry the backing plate off. It may feel a little tough and tight because it is actually sticking to 4 memory heatsinks with thermal paste and pads applied to them. You need to fully expose the back of this card and apply 4 more ramsinks.

So, in total you will need to order 8 ramsinks for this card.

Good luck. And BTW- You will absolutely love the performance gains you get from water cooling a 7800 GTX. Absolutely phenominal!!!

Dom

My eVGA card has the same heatsink desing as eVGA KO... and there it has 5 heatsinks in the back - 4 for the memory chips and one in the middle for the back of GPU...I can even see thermal pad below it. But I guess is that it is just cooling the board behind the chip if you're saying that there is no back plate for GPU on the other side of the card.

MasterG said:
I just ordered the same set-up. I have a Danger Den MAZE4 coming with the OCZ ramsinks for my Leaktek GTX. I should be up and running next weekend so I'll let you know how it goes then. Actually just check-up on my project log and I'll be updating that.

I just checked up on your log. Setup looks perfect, keep us posted on the details. Note, since you are using an almost identical setup as me, please cut down to under 9 ft. of tubing. I never mentioned it, but I used 12 ft. of tubing on "Project Brain Freeze" and I have about 60% of the flow efficiency as I would have with a 6 ft. setup on the D5 pump.

Dom

sxxb said:
My eVGA card has the same heatsink desing as eVGA KO... and there it has 5 heatsinks in the back - 4 for the memory chips and one in the middle for the back of GPU...I can even see thermal pad below it. But I guess is that it is just cooling the board behind the chip if you're saying that there is no back plate for GPU on the other side of the card.

Let me correct my statement as you do hold a valid point, there is technically a thermal pad below the gpu on the flipside attached to the plastic backing. You will probably be installing a backing plate right over the portion of the card where the thermal pad/backing was orginially attached.

After install of the GPU waterblock, the only thing you need to worry about is the 4 ramsinks. Sorry for the miscommunication, I guess I jumped the gun before completely reading your initial statement. My clarification does hold true however. :)

Once again, good luck on the setup. Youre gonna absolutely love it!

Dom

Last edited:
dominick32 said:
I just checked up on your log. Setup looks perfect, keep us posted on the details. Note, since you are using an almost identical setup as me, please cut down to under 9 ft. of tubing. I never mentioned it, but I used 12 ft. of tubing on "Project Brain Freeze" and I have about 60% of the flow efficiency as I would have with a 6 ft. setup on the D5 pump.

Dom

Well I figure that I'll probably screw up somewhere in the process so I'll need the extra tubing. I plan to use 5-6 ft just eyeballing it. It's a pretty tight loop so I don't think it will be too inefficient. By the way, what is your 7800 clocked at with the new water cooling on there?

dominick32 said:
Let me correct my statement as you do hold a valid point, there is technically a thermal pad below the gpu on the flipside attached to the plastic backing. You will probably be installing a backing plate right over the portion of the card where the thermal pad/backing was orginially attached.

After install of the GPU waterblock, the only thing you need to worry about is the 4 ramsinks. Sorry for the miscommunication, I guess I jumped the gun before completely reading your initial statement. My clarification does hold true however. :)

Once again, good luck on the setup. Youre gonna absolutely love it!

Dom

The proble is Asetek GPU water block doesn't have a backing plate like Maze4

MasterG said:
Well I figure that I'll probably screw up somewhere in the process so I'll need the extra tubing. I plan to use 5-6 ft just eyeballing it. It's a pretty tight loop so I don't think it will be too inefficient. By the way, what is your 7800 clocked at with the new water cooling on there?

Definitely a tight loop and the D5 will make a mockery out of flow rate compared to my 12' setup. Cant wait to see how it turns out. :)

Dom

sxxb said:
The proble is Asetek GPU water block doesn't have a backing plate like Maze4

You will be completely fine without anything attached to that back portion of the card. Just pull off the piece of thermal pad and mount your waterblock as per the instructions. As long as she has the proper amount of AS5 applied to GPU and she is bolted on securely to the GPU in a proper manner, install it and reap the benefits. Dont worry about the reverse side of the GPU position.

Dom

silverprop fusion HL is the best block for the gtx .. but they are kinda hard to find .. i know a shop that has them ill post a link when i get on my other pc ..

only problem is people say its a pita to mount .. but no one has any pics of it mounted .. or has ever mounted one ?

but they are avaible in the US

MasterG said:

Sorry, I just realized that I read over one of your responses regarding my GPU overclock after water cooling. It was decent, however most of the time these evga's really do need a volt mod after 500/1400 to get any kind of big time results.

Stock Core/Mem = 470/1200 69*C Load

Stock Air Cooling MAX OC = 487/1280 72*C Load

After water MAX Stable OC = 499/1390 36*C Load :)

After water MAX OC w/ a few artifacts = 501/1420 36*C Load :)

My best 3dmark05 score of 8870 occured at the last result. As you can see the card basically hits a brick wall @ 500 Mhz core and needs more voltage. My cooling is extremely efficient at a 36*C load and I believe with a simple Viper John volt mod I should be able to take the card to 540/1450-1500

Dom

madhatR said:
silverprop fusion HL is the best block for the gtx .. but they are kinda hard to find .. i know a shop that has them ill post a link when i get on my other pc ..

only problem is people say its a pita to mount .. but no one has any pics of it mounted .. or has ever mounted one ?

but they are avaible in the US

I have a fusion and I mounted it to a 6800gt and it was a real PITA. I Currently have it mounted to an x800xt. I ordered mine from http://www.criticool.com/ but they are no longer in business.
the only other shop is in usa is http://www.petrastechshop.com/

Great GPU block (running 630/615 number 12 ocforum 3dmark05 team) but took two weeks to get to me and another week for the 6800 mounting kit.

Back