• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling suggestions for first-timer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N1NJA

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra
2x 1GB G.Skill DDR400
BFG 7800GT PCI-E
WD Caviar 320GB 7200RPM HDD
DVD burner and CD burner
(Debating on PSUs right now, it will be at least a 550W)

That's the system, aside from the PSU, and I want to cool the CPU and 7800GT. I have been loking at Danger Den's stuff, but I don't have a clue what to get/look for. I do know that I want to run 1/2" tubing with some red UV add-ins because this is going in a red acrylic case. What should I look at? I also saw that on the GPU blocks for the 7800GT 256MB style, you need a ram sink for it because the block doesn't cover the ram? Is there another block or somehting that I could get instead of a Danger Den that will actually cool the whole thing? I'm not skilled in this area and I don't wanna wash $350 down the drain because I did something wrong (no pun intended).

Last edited:
N1NJA said:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra
2x 1GB G.Skill DDR400
BFG 7800GT PCI-E
WD Caviar 320GB 7200RPM HDD
DVD burner and CD burner
(Debating on PSUs right now, it will be at least a 550W)

That's the system, aside from the PSU, and I want to cool the CPU and 7800GT. I have been loking at Danger Den's stuff, but I don't have a clue what to get/look for. I do know that I want to run 1/2" tubing with some red UV add-ins because this is going in a red acrylic case. What should I look at? I also saw that on the GPU blocks for the 7800GT 256MB style, you need a ram sync for it because the block doesn't cover the ram? Is there another block or somehting that I could get instead of a Danger Den that will actually cool the whole thing? I'm not skilled in this area and I don't wanna wash $350 down the drain because I did something wrong (no pun intended).

PS - I noticed that you said "ram syncs". Surely you meant to say ram sinks..lol

Anyway, I installed a Danger Den Maze4 on a 7800 GTX, and yes you need to purchase 8 ram sinks. Danger Den has an awesome back plate and coiled top spring mechanism for the 6800/7800 Nvidia series video cards. It makes installation seamless and extremely easy, even for the WC rookie. It literally will take you 5 minutes to mount the GPU Block and ramsinks on a 7800 series Nvidia, just make sure you tell Danger Den to specifically send you 6800/7800 mounting hardware.

Also, depending on your card manufacturer, actual ram positioning may differ and block clearance of a ram sink underneath the waterblock. If this is the case you need to order a specific model Maze 4 Waterblock that has extra clearance for this reason exactly.

Good luck. Check out my article as I mentioned before. It has some pictures of an evga 7800 series video card and ramsink mounting locations. Take a look at my card and compare with your own.

Cheers.

Dom

dominick32 said:
PS - I noticed that you said "ram syncs". Surely you meant to say ram sinks..lol
Yup, that was a typo. Didn't I mention I failed keyboarding class o.0?

:sn: the ninja, he intrigues me, I must post more of him

Back