• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about new pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chunkylover763

I am building my first watercooling setup, it will run through a maze 4 gpu cooler, a maze 4 chipset cooler and an RBX athlonXP waterblock. It is setup to cool my OC'd barton 2500+M and geforce 6800 with a blackice proIII radiator. My question is this, I just picked up a pondmaster 3 and I want to know if it will be powerful enough to run this setup, I chose it because it had a decent flowrate -350gph, long shutoff -10.5', super quiet operation and a better warrenty than eheim offers. I read reviews about setups that only run 1.5gpm, but my pump puts out almost 10gpm, how can I calculate my theoretical flowrate?

Yep. The dannermag is more than enough. Just be careful tigenening up the fittings to the plastic housing as it will crack easily.

Now about flowrate: not sure how to measure that, but I think you may have to have some sort of flow measuring apparatus to be precise. Maybe someone here with more technical nohow on flowrates can help.

Typically We use RTV as a sealent around here when teflon does not seal. I tried teflon on my Eheim 1250 and it did not seal, so I graped my tube of RTV.

Flowrate is actually pretty simple to measure.

Get an empty 20 liter (or similar even ammount of your choice) continer. Attach your pump to an unrestricted water supply, like a full bath tub, and measure how long it takes your pump to fill the empty container. When you know how long 20l takes, you can easily calculate how many liters per hour, or gallons if you're still living in the stone age ;)

Calculating your theoretical flowrate is irrelevant as your tubing, blocks, etc. all effect what the real flowrate will be. And your actual flowrate will depend on your pumps head pressure rating, not on the gpm rating of the pump. The gpm/gph rating is figured at 0 restriction. Having said that, a Mag 3 is a rather commonly used pump and should be fine. It is not the best that is out there, but it should do the job. I would still tend to side with an Eheim 1250 though due to their proven track record. Of course, a D5 is about the best short of an iwaki, but it would set up back another $25 or so.

Back