• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

general watercooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatR

how hard is removing and swapping out components when you are
watercooled ?

Do you mean swapping out watercooling components or general hardware?

IMO both are as hard as you make them.

Swapping out water parts usually requires draining the loop, which is as easy as you make it when you design the setup in your case.

If you mean other hardware, again, take that into consideration when you install the wc, and you should be ok. Something that is watercooled like the cpu or gpu is obviously gonna be a little bit harder.

I don't have any problem swapping out hardware in my system.

cpu shouldnt be too hard .. just undo the block .. swap cpu .. tighten block back down ..

of course gpus will be hard .. cuz u have to change blocks .. etc ..

im kinda up in the air about using a swifty micro res .. just one more thing to worry about leaking

madhatR said:
cpu shouldnt be too hard .. just undo the block .. swap cpu .. tighten block back down ..

of course gpus will be hard .. cuz u have to change blocks .. etc ..

im kinda up in the air about using a swifty micro res .. just one more thing to worry about leaking

Don't forget about cleaning and reapplying AS5 or other TIM

If your up in the air, just skip it. Theres no reason a res can't be used safely, but it seems like every other week someone has a leaky res.

how often do u have to drain and refill ur system ?
and what kind of additive should i put it ? just distilled water ?
coolermaster has an all in one fluid .. i want blue lol ..

also what kind of tubing ? tygon ?

Tygon is the best, Masterekleer a distant second for a fraction of the price.
For coolant you need and anticorrosive and an anti algae. Glycol based antifreeze is good for corrosion and iodine works for algae. The all in one coolants are a jip in my opinion. 5% antifreeze is enough for all copper.

If its solidly built and taken care of, you can pry get away with changing coolant once a year.

well waterblock is on the way .. still have to order the other stuff ..

i kinda wanna find a way to fit the maz4 gpu on my512mb gtxs without having to mod ram sinks

The Coolermaster coolant is a little expensive. You could certainly mix up something much cheaper. But, I had extra cash, so I bought some and am currently running it. Very nice blue color. No complaints so far. Seems to work fine.

what happens when u shut down the computer ?

when the pump is attached to the psu .. it will shut off with the psu
wont that transfer all the heat right back in ?

or is this not a problem ?

No because since your computer is off it isn't producing heat. Taking my water block of is a PITA because I have to remove the motherboard completely out of the case to get the water block screwed on.

so with the storm its not like the tdx .. where u just undo the block and it comes off .. to swap out the cpu then put it back in and screw it down ?

citronym said:
... Theres [sic] no reason a res can't be used safely, but it seems like every other week someone has a leaky res.

The only reason a res would leak is a) it a cheap piece of %$#@ to begin with or it wasn't built well to begin with. To have a nice res, all you've got to do is get some acrylic, cut it appropriately, bond it appropriately, and wahla, you've got a res.

Sorta like the attached pic. (The vortex didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, but the res itself has been very solid.)

Attachments

• 2005-09-04 - 070s.jpg
    2005-09-04 - 070s.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 72
Flip-Mode said:
Maybe we could get a decent guide on how me build a res....
MVC said:
To have a nice res, all you've got to do is get some acrylic, cut it appropriately, bond it appropriately, and wahla, you've got a res.
:cool: :p
I fashioned my res out of household products, as have many others. The possibilities are limitless.

Back