• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Staining on the Waterblock - Green pipe buildup OMG!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobxMcCarthy

Ok... I'm running a RBX setup with a dual 120mm copper heatercore. The resevoir is aluminum; however, it is anodized.

I've been running my system for a year and the piped began to get discolored ( a green buildup... I thought it was bacteria)

Last week I emptied out my system to find the water perfectly clear! (confusion) The piped remained green! I couldn't clean it out by flushing water through the system.

The copper waterblock was stained black, and the inside of the aluminum res was corroded. (annoyed)

I tried cleaning the waterblock but had a hard time getting the black off, and impossible in the channels.

Has anyone experienced this type of corrosion, and is there anything I can soak the system in to clean it out? Something abrasive.

Thanks in advance,
Rob McCarthy

I dunno if white vinegar plus some salt soaking it overnight would work. Just out of cursiosity, what was in your coolant?

5|*42 said:
I dunno if white vinegar plus some salt soaking it overnight would work. Just out of cursiosity, what was in your coolant?

He had ionized water, some alcohol, and a few drops of some uv reactive blue stuff that never uv reacted.

He also already used dishsoap and a scrubber (those green pad things) and was barely able to get it off of the flat parts with some violent scrubbing.. We're thinking hes going to need something a bit more abrasive...

citronym said:
So there was no anti-corrosive in the loop? :shrug:

No. BUT.. technically there should have been no need.. the anodizing of the aluminum was supposed to protect it from that thing that happens with copper vs. aluminum.

Apparently his reservoir wasn't properly made...

On a side note, I most certainly used 15% antifreeze in my loop :- ] Practically the same color as his gooped up pipes too.. 'cept mine isn't opaque..

Aluminum is just tough to work with in this case unfortunately. I would use 15% glycol or more even with anodized, if I used aluminum.

Hope you get it all sorted out, and lets see some pics!

You really should run some anticorrosive even in an all-copper setup, much less in a setup with copper and al. Even if it is anodized, all it takes is one little spot where the anodization did not coat well to cause trouble. I would try scrubbing with some Barkeeper's friend. I used this a whle back to clean up a copper block and it works pretty well. Maybe if you use a toothbrush with this you can make some headway. And get rid of the anodized res and get something that won't corrode.

Yeah.. I always said that he should use some anti-corrosive.. He was going to.. but he was waiting out to find something good that was blue.. But you know.. seeing how they don't make blue antifreeze anymore, the hunt didn't go very well.

Barkeepers friend might help a bit. I don't know how well a toothbrush will work tho.. we might need something a bit stronger.. like those little brass toothed brushes or whatever those are..

Any ideas about his tubing? It looks like theres whitish green opaque liquid in the tubes at all times, even tho the water is perfectly clear.. How does that stuff come off? I suggested brand new tubing.. but as we all know, thats brand new tubing on top of all the other stuff he has to buy new...

perfectturmoil said:
Yeah.. I always said that he should use some anti-corrosive.. He was going to.. but he was waiting out to find something good that was blue.. But you know.. seeing how they don't make blue antifreeze anymore, the hunt didn't go very well.

Barkeepers friend might help a bit. I don't know how well a toothbrush will work tho.. we might need something a bit stronger.. like those little brass toothed brushes or whatever those are..

Any ideas about his tubing? It looks like theres whitish green opaque liquid in the tubes at all times, even tho the water is perfectly clear.. How does that stuff come off? I suggested brand new tubing.. but as we all know, thats brand new tubing on top of all the other stuff he has to buy new...

they make blue antifreeze... it is the VW stuff... about $30

there is also stuff i used to use for my aqaurium to kill algea but not the fish, may be easy on componets

I have used water and swimming pool acid(10to1) to clean all things copper with great results and little to no work other the being careful with the acid.
Always add the acid to the water, not the other way around.......you don't want to know why I know that.
Wear rubber gloves, eye protection, and do it outside near a running hose for the insta-rinse factor, and good ventelation. Dip a q-tip in the solution and wipe on the stain to remove, and then rinse with water, then when you are done, wash all cleaned parts with soppy water and rinse again.
You can change the (10to1) ratio to suit your needs but don't go overboard.

As for the blue anti-freeze, honda OEM is blue for thier aluminum engines and copper radiators.

Thanks for the advice Rig Rider. Is there a more technical term than swimming pool acid? I really know nothing about swimming pools.

And YES I know that I should have used an anti-corrosive. That's not the question. It was a mistake, I assumed I'd be safe until I found something good, but I eventually forgot. So yes, I understand that I need to use it, and I am running it through there at the moment. But, the tubing and copper is still goofed up. Do you think it would be possible to run the 1/10 acid solution through the entire system? Or would this be too harsh on the pump and rubber gaskets?

That would be a REALLY bad idea! You need to take everything apart and clean it out right. You are probably going to have to replace the tubing also. About the only thing you can do to clean tubing is a put cleaner on a rag and use a coathanger or something with a piece of rag on the end and ream them out.

Pool acid cleaner would do the trick, but the question I have is how caustic it is and whether or not it would pit the copper and just cause more problems.

It's getting to the point where anything is better than black goop. I tried soaking it dishwasher soap then leaving it under a faucet on HIGH+high heat and NOTHING came off.

RobxMcCarthy said:
Thanks for the advice Rig Rider. Is there a more technical term than swimming pool acid? I really know nothing about swimming pools.

And YES I know that I should have used an anti-corrosive. That's not the question. It was a mistake, I assumed I'd be safe until I found something good, but I eventually forgot. So yes, I understand that I need to use it, and I am running it through there at the moment. But, the tubing and copper is still goofed up. Do you think it would be possible to run the 1/10 acid solution through the entire system? Or would this be too harsh on the pump and rubber gaskets?
I just reread that Heck no don't do that .

Ok, I wasn't sure how corrosive it was. But yes I understand that it would probably royally F the rubber gaskets and such.

Thanks for the info I'll certainly try that.

How long do you think it would be safe to leave the 1/10 solution in the radiator? IE that might be the only way I can clean it out. I'm assuming it also has the black corrosion issue that the waterblock has due to the material used.

Once again, thank you. I appreciate the responses.

Did you try soaking it in vinigar. Now need to mess with buying stuff if you have it in your pantry.

Back