• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermochill PA120.2 or a Black Ice Pro II for Low Noise ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mixman

I want to know which is better for both low noise and great performance. I hear that the Thermochill's PA's are generally better, but better by how much ? One, or two degrees cooler than a BIP 2 ?

Is the difference in price worth the difference in performance ?

if you have the money get the PA, if not, then get the BIP. Of course the temps are going to be one to two degrees, maybe three difference, but some people pay more just because of that. Is it really necessary? well it depends on how serious of an overclocker/temp freak you are. that is my advice.

So a PA120.2 is only worth about one or two degrees more ?

Anyone switch from a BIP or BIX to a PA120 ?

I actually went with the Swiftech MCR220. It's supposed to be right in between the PA120.2 and the BIP 2, with the price only about $7 more than the BIP.

Did I make a good choice ?

for a quiet setup the BIP II should be fine escpecially for the price. The Thermochill does provide better cooling, but im not sure if the extra cooling is worth the price.

i think some here are also forgetting the thicker the rad the higher the cfm/air pressure needed to move air thru all those tiny dense fins.

Evilsizer said:
i think some here are also forgetting the thicker the rad the higher the cfm/air pressure needed to move air thru all those tiny dense fins.

The PA is made for lower CFM fans tho. Nikhsub1 went with 6 56CFM 120mm fans for his PA120.3. The fins on the PA are not as close together as the fins on an HE.

Wicked_Klown said:
The PA is made for lower CFM fans tho. Nikhsub1 went with 6 56CFM 120mm fans for his PA120.3. The fins on the PA are not as close together as the fins on an HE.
i didnt know the difference of the thermochill but some said bix2 which is why i said that.

I got the Swiftech MCR220 for now, but if I wanted a little better cooling would a Thermochill PA120.3 be a significant step up ?

Mixman said:
I got the Swiftech MCR220 for now, but if I wanted a little better cooling would a Thermochill PA120.3 be a significant step up ?
not really, i say that because you could get it now if you have the room and if you plan on SLI/DUAL core cpu setup.. just depends...

the pressure to cost ratio of bix is better assuming the same fans ( at least at the price i saw for the bix2) performance on low noise systems will not vary so much and are not that important anyways if as the OP asked low noise now if you could get a 120 for the same price as a bix2 or cheeper then you would be rolling

I doubt if I can get a PA 120 for anywhere near the same price as a BIX....even used.

I am wondering if I want a little better in the long run will a PA120.3 be better than the Swiftech MCR220....as least by a decent enough margin to make it worth it ?

if you have the $$ for you wcing setup.. i say go for the pa120.3 over the swiffy... if you upgrade just use the rad agian and switch you old box to air...

Well money was getting a little tight for this build....just bough the TJ07, very expensive, but a good investment. I figured with the Swifty MCR220 it was easy enough to find room in the case for it. A triple rad will probably be more work and mods to fit. But, if I want lower temps I was thinking the Thermochill PA120.3 was the way to go.

Anyone go from a double to a triple rad ? Did temps or performance really improve ?

I went from a dual 120mm HC to a HE120.3 and saw a small temp drop. However the noise level did go down abit more. As of next week I will be going from an HE120.3 to a PA120.3.

At least then my temps might remain the same even though I could undervolt my fans even more. I guess that would be the benefit of going to a triple rad like the PA120.3.

Back