• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maze 4 gpu waterblock .. which ramsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatR

i remember someone on here saying that the bfg ramsinks that u can find in compusa are much shorter and fit under the gpu blocks without modding ?

can anyone verify this or should i just get the ocz ones that come with the blocks and mod them

My eVGA 7800GTX w/ a Maze 4 worked perfectly with OCZ Copper ramsinks. No issues whatsoever.

pic26.jpg

pic30.jpg

If you can kind of see in the 2nd picture you can tell the location and height of the actual sinks and the waterblock position.

Dom

Wait a minute. I noticed that you are using the 512MB edition of the 7800gtx. On that note, you may have to do some modifying of the actual sinks. I will have to let someone else chime in on the 512 edition ram positioning.

Dom

I use the Zalman sinks, no issues what soever.

They come with a short set of 4 (for the bottom) and tall set of 4 (for the top)

yeah but you are running the 256 gtx .. the ram placement is different ..

im wondering if its even worth watercooling my video cards

im just nervous i guess .. maybe i should try just the cpu first

The new Swiftech ramsinks are excellent. Also good are the Vantec IceBerg ramsinks and the OCZ ramsinks.

What irks me about running ramsinks in a WC rig is the how it partly defeats the purpose of going wet to begin with! How do you cool those ramsinks unless you have good airflow over them, which equals noise, plus more heat being dumped into the case...? :shrug:

madhatR said:
im just nervous i guess .. maybe i should try just the cpu first

Dont be nervous at all. Cooling my 7800GTX was the single most beneficial factor of the entire water cooling kit. Preliminary air temperatures on my card were 46 idle/ 69 load.

After adding the Maze 4 I amazingly dropped temperatures down to 31*C(software limited) idle and 36*C Load. Worth the risk if you ask me.

Dom

i guess .. im just nervous of possible destroying 2x 750$ video cards lol

anyways ..
all the ramsinks are good but all would have to be shaved down to fit under the maze 4 gpu cooler

Just do NOT epoxy the sinks on. I've seen many a person kill their card by epoxying the sinks on instead of sacraficing like .1C diff for the ability to remove the sinks.

Back