• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best and cheapest UV dye

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moho

I wanna title tooo !
Finishing my Watercooling PC up, and it seems that all i need is some additive, as i want it to be UV reactive.
i seen this:
http://www.svc.com/swhyexduco.html
and was wondering if anyone has used it, or if someone knows some other stuff that i could use thats under the $5 range.
Also one quick question, where can i buy iodine? or will this work in place of it.
Oh yes, and also, would this be good mixed with radiator fluid and distilled H20? or just this and H20? im really a newb when it comes to these things :)

You can use the Swiftech green stuff as it is antifreeze with algaecide and a little UV thrown in. You just mix it with plain distilled water.

I would recommend http://cool-cases-usa.com/Zen-Cart-v1.2.4/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_9
as their visible UV dyes give nice color all of the time. You then just use car antifreeze in the color you want, or find clear antifreeze and use the dye to color it more and give it the UV glow. Using separate dye lets you decide how much glow you want. Typically 10% antifreeze to 90% distilled water is the way to go. You can get iodine from Walmart-like $2 a bottle. It only takes a few drops to keep anything from growing.

To bad they only accept PayPal :(

Payment Method

This is currently the only payment method available to use on this order.
Paypal

Thats a neat site, i started ordering, then had to do something, and cancelled, and they send me a $2 gift certificate for joining.
I think ill go with that blue UV dye, and get some clear radiator fluid.
Thanks for the links guys

I got some tincture of iodine from Walmart, and put a little in my loop. Will i need a good amount? i covered the little dropper a few times and the mixed it in my reservoir.

Also will winshield wiper fluid work ok as an alternative to radiator fluid? i couldnt find any Blue colored rad, fluid..

Last edited:
moho said:
I got some tincture of iodine from Walmart, and put a little in my loop. Will i need a good amount? i covered the little dropper a few times and the mixed it in my reservoir.

nope, that should suffice. not much is needed.

i also am wondering if winshield wiper fluid works good as a alternative to rad. coolant.

your link doesnt work aidenswarrior :)

moho said:
i also am wondering if winshield wiper fluid works good as a alternative to rad. coolant.

your link doesnt work aidenswarrior :)

nope, negative on the winshield wiper fluid

I've never heard of clear radiator fluid. Generally they called that distilled water :rolleyes:. I'd go down to your local Auto-Zone or Pepboys and ask around.

If i remember right, I bought some extended life Autozone antifreeze about 6 months ago on a friend's setup and it is clear.

I bought the invisible blue from them, Cool-Cases, and it glows real nice and when the uv lights are off the tubes are still clear. As far as blue antifreeze goes look for volkswagen antifreeze. They make it in blue but just so you know if you mix it to the correct ratio it will essentially be clear in your tubes anyway.

1. Iodine is not UV reactive, its only a anti-growth agent
2. THE cheapest UV dye is probably sitting some where near you. Highlighters, yes I did say highlighters. Different colors glow to different degrees (yellow showing the most)
3. what people are after in the radiator coolant is the ethylene glycol(or variant) which is an anticorrosion agent.

Be careful with Hi Liters. The ink is particle based, and could potentially cause damage to pumps or clog jet-impingement blocks.

citronym said:
Be careful with Hi Liters. The ink is particle based, and could potentially cause damage to pumps or clog jet-impingement blocks.

Sorry, but I disagree. The liquid highliters that are used these days are either completly liquid or have such a small particle size that settling is non existant. If no visiable settling occurse that means that the particle size is smaller than a dust particle.

I used a hi-lighter last year when I had an mcp350 pump and the pump locked up within a couple of hours afterwards. Hi-lighters do contain fiber particulates and they will eat up the bearings in your pump.

Back