• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg... First problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxjt2oxx

Registered
So I've spent several thousand dollars with New Egg in the past year or so, and I highly recommend them to friends/family because I've never had a problem with their products, until today.

I've heard stories in the past of newegg sending out refurb. items as new, but I figured it was just ****ed off people complaining because they ordered the wrong parts. Well...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what RMA means, but the stick of memory I bought (which won't work in either of my 2 laptops, or my friends that I ordered it for) has a RMA sticker on it already. As soon as I saw it I was kinda ****ed, and the customer service rep on the phone told me that the RMA sticker just means it wasn't tested after it was manufactured? I asked him why it would have an RMA number on it and he went to speak with his manager.

After he came back, he told me I'm getting a full refund, no restocking charge, a refund for $5 for shipping to me, and $10 to ship it back to them. I can say that I'm glad they handled it quickly, and effectively, although I am rather upset that the problem happened at all. This is my first problem with newegg, although I can say, I am still satisfied overall with them, and will do business with them in the future.

If this is some sort of Manufacturing sticker then I appologize, but here are pics front and back of the memory. Either way it won't work in 3 differant laptops (1 toshiba, 1 hp, and 1 dell). Decide for yourself...

Attachments

• memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 222
I am glad that Newegg handled everything rapidly for you. On the other hand, it does look like those RMA words could be some kind of manufacturing code or procedure for testing. It may not be the old "Return Merchandise Authorization" code that we all know so dearly. Good luck. I would like to hear others with OCZ ram come in and clarify the meaning of this sticker.

Dom

I understand that having a problem sux, but the manner in which they corrected the problem IS UNMATCHED by anyone. You really cant ask for anymore than what they did, noone else will do that for you. The bottum line for me is when i have a problem with another place its always a hassle and LONG WAIT involved and lotsa BS, with neweggif there's a problem I dont care, cuz I know when I give them my money they will take care of ANYTHING that happends, although latley they been slow and UPS sux but they still do that and thats what matters...

Rattle said:
I understand that having a problem sux, but the manner in which they corrected the problem IS UNMATCHED by anyone. You really cant ask for anymore than what they did, noone else will do that for you. The bottum line for me is when i have a problem with another place its always a hassle and LONG WAIT involved and lotsa BS, with neweggif there's a problem I dont care, cuz I know when I give them my money they will take care of ANYTHING that happends, although latley they been slow and UPS sux but they still do that and thats what matters...

everything else i got with the order works fine (just checked).

newegg is by far my favorite online retail store, and even with the problem that i had, i mean really, what more could i have asked for?

1,000,000,000,000,000 dollars!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

well i guess your story shows that newegg is still great even tho they made a mistake..............

im happy it was cleared up for u

I dont know... it really depends on how you look at this situation.

I too have been a Newegg customer for years and spent thousands. I still shop with them and this post wont deter that either... BUT...

As the others posted, I would praise this customer service result but it could also be interpreted as making you happy so you dont go badmouthing and bring this to the attention of someone who could investigate this further.

IF (big if) Newegg are truly selling off RMA items as "new", that could implicate all kinds of legal action and problems. They would blatantly be ripping off customers under false advertisement. I truly hope this isnt the case, but on the other hand, its not completely inconceivable is it?

:shrug:

Surfrider77 said:
I dont know... it really depends on how you look at this situation.

I too have been a Newegg customer for years and spent thousands. I still shop with them and this post wont deter that either... BUT...

As the others posted, I would praise this customer service result but it could also be interpreted as making you happy so you dont go badmouthing and bring this to the attention of someone who could investigate this further.

IF (big if) Newegg are truly selling off RMA items as "new", that could implicate all kinds of legal action and problems. They would blatantly be ripping off customers under false advertisement. I truly hope this isnt the case, but on the other hand, its not completely inconceivable is it?

:shrug:

Why, when a company tries to correct it's mistakes, do people play detective and think of some abominable scheme that newegg is trying to blind you of? I'm not saying you're wrong or you're right but I think people watch too much CSI or something.

Two things here:

1. The memory may have been RMA, but the way Newegg corrected the situation is great. Thumbs up. Most other places would give you the run-around and say it meant something else.

2. With the volume of stuff they sell it's hard to say they purposely sent you the RMA product. It could have come from OCZ that way, or RMA in this case means some production testing code.

Either way, the important thing is they fixed the problem.

Thanks for the second chance!

xxjt2oxx said:
So I've spent several thousand dollars with New Egg in the past year or so, and I highly recommend them to friends/family because I've never had a problem with their products, until today.

I've heard stories in the past of newegg sending out refurb. items as new, but I figured it was just ****ed off people complaining because they ordered the wrong parts. Well...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what RMA means, but the stick of memory I bought (which won't work in either of my 2 laptops, or my friends that I ordered it for) has a RMA sticker on it already. As soon as I saw it I was kinda ****ed, and the customer service rep on the phone told me that the RMA sticker just means it wasn't tested after it was manufactured? I asked him why it would have an RMA number on it and he went to speak with his manager.

After he came back, he told me I'm getting a full refund, no restocking charge, a refund for $5 for shipping to me, and $10 to ship it back to them. I can say that I'm glad they handled it quickly, and effectively, although I am rather upset that the problem happened at all. This is my first problem with newegg, although I can say, I am still satisfied overall with them, and will do business with them in the future.

If this is some sort of Manufacturing sticker then I appologize, but here are pics front and back of the memory. Either way it won't work in 3 differant laptops (1 toshiba, 1 hp, and 1 dell). Decide for yourself...

Hello xxjt2oxx and Fellow Forum Members!

Thanks for the opportunity to fix this uncommon situation for you. A number of things could have taken place for you to have received this apparent refurbished RAM. Regardless of the reason we are here to help you out and make sure that you get the best customer service and what you paid for.

From your post, it sounds like everything was handled efficiently and professionally, we're glad. If you or anyone reading this thread needs any further assistance please feel free to PM myself and I will glad to offer my assistance.

Sincerely,

Newegg Customer Support
--"Once You Know, You Newegg"
www.newegg.com

Let me stick my oar in here.

I think Newegg is going downhill.

Quickly!

Here's my story;

A few years ago, I was building systems for friends, and as such I was buying a lot of parts from Newegg. Probably in the 3-4 thousand dollar range. I had absolutely NO problems at all. PERIOD! (Unless you count your Newegg shipment being delivered by FedEx too EARLY!)

I haven't ordered anything in at least a year, maybe more.

My brother gave me a GC to Newegg, as a Christmas present, for $50. I decided I wanted a new DVD drive, that was on sale for $40, and shipping was $6 thru FedEx. (No way in he** I'd use UPS!)

I tried 3 times to use the GC, on the internet webpage. No luck! So, I called in to get a "human" to help. (Just a regular customer service guy.) We worked on it for 1/2 hour, and finally got it to go through.

Or so we thought.

I get an e-mail in about 10 minutes, that said my "credit card" was refused. (That 10 minutes WAS IMPRSSIVE, though.)

So, I called Aaron's extension, got Jason, explained the situation to him, and it FINALLY!! got resolved.

3 tries on their webpage, and 2 phone calls, for one simple order? (Can we have the OLD Newegg back??)

"Once you REALLY know, do you STILL Newegg??"

steve

Oh, by the way, the DVD drive came on time, and works just as it is supposed to!

steve

eh ya can't really blame em for stuff like that...sometimes the system has problems...the fact is that they did something about it and made sure you got what you wanted. whereas most etailers would give you the run around till you either gave up or did somtihng so drastic they'd give you what you wanted.

It wasn't until I got through to our "backdoor," that I was able to get what I wanted. What would happen, if it was one of my brothers, (that don't have Aaron's extension number, to get hold of Jason) if they had the same "issue?"

They would have had the "runaround."

What I'm saying, is that the problem has reverted to needing "backdoor" people, to keep the long-term customers from revolting. (Or going to a different e-tailer.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just complaining to drag down Newegg, I'm complaining so they can see the problems;

AND FIX THEM!!

So we stay or come back, instead of looking for another e-tailer.

A complaining customer is THE ABSOLUTE BEST RESOURCE ANY SELLER HAS! THe seller KNOWS what the problem is.

Jason, Aaron, any comments?

steve

Good points.....Guess i've never had anything to complain about so i'm still happy..

"We're waiting and ready to help You!"

skou said:
It wasn't until I got through to our "backdoor," that I was able to get what I wanted. What would happen, if it was one of my brothers, (that don't have Aaron's extension number, to get hold of Jason) if they had the same "issue?"

They would have had the "runaround."

What I'm saying, is that the problem has reverted to needing "backdoor" people, to keep the long-term customers from revolting. (Or going to a different e-tailer.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just complaining to drag down Newegg, I'm complaining so they can see the problems;

AND FIX THEM!!

So we stay or come back, instead of looking for another e-tailer.

A complaining customer is THE ABSOLUTE BEST RESOURCE ANY SELLER HAS! THe seller KNOWS what the problem is.

Jason, Aaron, any comments?

steve

Hey Steve and Fellow OC Forum members,

Thanks for the feedback.

When a customer encounters an issue with an order we can be reached by one, or all, of the following methods; Phone (800-390-1119), sending us an email, our using our newest feature "Live Chat" to receive assistance with an order.

All of our agents, regardless of the contact method, are trained and willing to help our valued customer's as best they can. Of course, there are some issues that may be more difficult to resolve than others but we will never lose focus and always strive to achieve 100% customer satisfaction.

We definitely appreciate the comments and all of your responses, as mentioned by Steve, serve as a learning tool to help us grow as a company and still provide the same level of customer service that our patrons have come to expect.

As always, please feel free to PM myself if in need of assistance on an order or use one of the contact methods listed above.

Sincerely,

Newegg Customer Support
--"Once You Know, You Newegg"
www.newegg.com

Last edited:
Another interesting thing, when I called back, using Aaron's extension number, for some reason, Jason had the records up on his computer screen. I didn't even have to give him my name, order number, or anything. He already knew it

Big Brother? Watching?

steve

still waiting for the credit for shipping, I was told I should have had it 3 business days from my RMA date which was 2/1 :rolleyes:

otherwise everything is looking good so far.

sounds like OCZ accidently slipped in a RMA'd stick of ram with the normal stuff :shrug:

thumbs up for newegg customer service :):thup:

Back