• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why use tygon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xdkimx

Registered
i have my system set up with tygon R1000 tubing and after seeing this old review http://wc101.com/reviews/clearflex/ i was wondering why ppl prefer tygon, does the clearflex stain easily or something?

my tygon tubing does collapse just like the pics on that review

iv seen a few recommend the R3603 tygon but does this have any advantage over the clearflex?

after some research it seems the only advantage tygon has over clearflex are its chemical resistance properties which might be important in a laboratory or something but doesnt seem too important in water/antifreeze fluid

Thanks in advance

people recommend R3603 because of kinking and all those other problems with tubing. R3603 is just the grand daddy of w/c tubing. Masterkleer is very close in quality, and only a fraction of the price. It is kind of like, why do people buy $120 Nike's, instead of $30 generics. You pay for the quality.

R1000 is complete crap. How did you even get your system up without kinking? I highly suggest you switch over to the R3603, I had the exact same mistake. THERE IS SUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCH a difference between the two. The reason people prefer Tygon over the mcmaster stuff is because after time, your tubing can turn a cloudy white color, and it takes Tygon longer to do it. I would never use anything but Tygon in my WC system unless you're going for budget.

yeah it was a pain in the ***, used a lot of zip ties lol

alright thanks for the help ill try out the R3603s

okies

but that brings up another question ... except for vanity ... wouldnt there then be some other superior tubing such as the fibre reinforced or polyX types that would provide a lower chance of kinks and coolant loss due to osmosis ... or even for the hard core who are willing to go through the bending straight copper?

greyharte said:
okies

but that brings up another question ... except for vanity ... wouldnt there then be some other superior tubing such as the fibre reinforced or polyX types that would provide a lower chance of kinks and coolant loss due to osmosis ... or even for the hard core who are willing to go through the bending straight copper?

Reinforced tubing won't kink (or is hard to kink), but take a look at the bend radius--it's huge. When you're working in a computer case you don't have all the room in the world so you'll frequently need to make some pretty tight bends. My 7/16 ID, 11/16 OD, 1/8 wall Tygon 3603 has a bend radius of 1 3/8 inches and even the "common" 1/2 ID, 3/4" OD 3603 has a bend radius of 1.5 inches.

Good to see you back online MVC. It's been a while.

The Tygon R3603 has an excellent bend radius as MVC said, and just is easier to work with. Clearflex just seems to cloud up too easily for me. I have used it before but won't use it again. I have been running Tygon for months now and it still looks good.

Weird. I've been using Clearflex for nearly 6 months without a water change and I haven't seen any cloudiness in the tubing. Originally, I ran Kuriyama tubing for a year and that developed this nasty film on the insides that were really difficult to rub off. I'd like to use 3603, but I can't really justify paying 2.50 more per foot over the Clearflex. =T

I got lucky and picked up 2 boxes of Tygon R3603 for a good price. The stuff I used before got cloudy after about 3 months and so far this Tygon is crystal clear still after 6 months.

kbtat2 said:
I got lucky and picked up 2 boxes of Tygon R3603 for a good price. The stuff I used before got cloudy after about 3 months and so far this Tygon is crystal clear still after 6 months.
2 boxes? Damn, can you send a few feet my way? No Tygon in Israel....

Back