• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Exteamly wierd, Swiftech MCP600 back wired

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

Ok heres the deal, back in April last year I bought a load of WC gear from the forums here most of them from greenman100 and among the gear was also a MCP600 which greenman claimed was NIB, anyhow after I got all the parts I got cold feet and just stashed the gear in the garage until the right moment comes well after finding a great deal on a rad here on the forums I decided to WC once again.
Today I figured that the pump was laying in the garage for a while and I was afraid it rusted or something (I live in the desert so humidity here isn't high at all but I was still worried as its an expensive pump) so I dig it up, hook the hoses hook up my PSU and plug the pump in..... no go.... at this point I'm like "Either time took its toll or the greenman screwed me..."
I take the pump and examine it for like 5 mins and then it hits me, the molex connector is backwards.... the black wire is plugged where the red is soposed to be....
I switched them and it works just fine but its totally weird.

So the molex CONNECTOR itself wasn't backward, but the wires going into the connector were switched?

Maybe he tried undervolting it at one time and forgot to switch it back around.

Albigger said:
So the molex CONNECTOR itself wasn't backward, but the wires going into the connector were switched?

Maybe he tried undervolting it at one time and forgot to switch it back around.
The pump wasn't used and I don't believe he has reason to lie, besides greenman would know it wouldn't work that way.

I received a couple 3 pin fan to 4 pin molex adaptors a last week. They are the inline molex with male on one end & female on the other. The female ends of the 4 pin molex's had the +5 & +12 wires backwards.

My guess is they were manufactured either Friday after lunch or Monday before lunch. lol

JLK03F150 said:
I received a couple 3 pin fan to 4 pin molex adaptors a last week. They are the inline molex with male on one end & female on the other. The female ends of the 4 pin molex's had the +5 & +12 wires backwards.

My guess is they were manufactured either Friday after lunch or Monday before lunch. lol
Wouldn't that fry the hardware?? Mine was inverted with the ground so it didn't do nothing but feeding a 5V line with 12V will damage something.

If I had installed them inline it would certainly have smoked something. Luckily I caught the problem before hooking them up. Also I'm not using them inline, they are each at the end of a line & all it would have done is run my radiator fans at 5v instead of 12v.

BTW, reversing the positive & ground would run you pump backwards. That'll kill some types of centrifugal pumps - not to mention really mess with your flow. lol

JLK03F150 said:
If I had installed them inline it would certainly have smoked something. Luckily I caught the problem before hooking them up. Also I'm not using them inline, they are each at the end of a line & all it would have done is run my radiator fans at 5v instead of 12v.

BTW, reversing the positive & ground would run you pump backwards. That'll kill some types of centrifugal pumps - not to mention really mess with your flow. lol
Well it should as its DC but it didn't, I wonder why...

Maybe the pump has a diode in there. It sort acts as a one-way electrical gate & could prevent it from running backwards.

JLK03F150 said:
Maybe the pump has a diode in there. It sort acts as a one-way electrical gate & could prevent it from running backwards.
I was thinking of a way they could have prevented this, never though of that....
Anyhow this was one weird wiring job, Swiftech, shame on you :(

Back