• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How about this for a Passive Radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JD21

Registered
Probably, but you're gonna need an Iwaki or something to push the water through all that. You can't exactly read the tape measure from the pics tho, so I couldn't get a good idea for the dimensions. And how big are the pipes in it?

Actually, I'm not so sure that will give you very good performance as it looks severely restrictive. You really would need a high pressure iwaki for that to work. It doesn't take that much surface area to passively cool well. I have a car rad that is about 1' x 20" long and it cools very well passively. You are only going to get near ambient no matter what you do without some kind of phase change.

Photo Bucket sized down the pics quite a bit, you could read the tape in the originals. The unit is 30"x30"x22" and the pipe is 5/16" ID. I am going to tie the three inputs and outputs together with 1/2" or 5/8" ID pipes, so I don't imagine it will be to terribly restrictive. I don't really care about size or practicality:D
I was planning on using a pump like this
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=PI1117

Wow, what old air conditioner did you take that off of? Where do you plan on mounting that thing anyhow?

I think it would look awesome if you could suspend your case in the middle of it (with the radie sideways, not like in the picture.

Maviryk said:
Wow, what old air conditioner did you take that off of? Where do you plan on mounting that thing anyhow?

I think it would look awesome if you could suspend your case in the middle of it (with the radie sideways, not like in the picture.

It came off of a late 70s Ruud Central Air Unit. My parents replaced the furnace/AC in the house they are moving out of. They were just going to throw the units away so I yanked out the condensers, compressor, and blower. Yay free stuff :clap:
Maybe suspend the case in the middle like you suggested and then suspend the whole thing off the wall so the whole conglomeration looks like it just floating in mid air:cool:
The compressor and blower aren't exacly small either
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/Jdm23_23/Compressor.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/Jdm23_23/BlowerSide.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/Jdm23_23/BlowerFront.jpg
The blowers 1/3hp, Haven't looked up the compressor but its rated at 87LRA.

I would get a Iwaki 30Z instead of that pump. The Iwaki has 14 Ft more head and is 1/4 the wattage. And about same price.

Passive radiators works best when it is left outside your house.

I had the Zalman Reserator and ditched it within a week; what was I thinking.

zebkoolindc said:
I would get a Iwaki 30Z instead of that pump. The Iwaki has 14 Ft more head and is 1/4 the wattage. And about same price.
Sweet, got a link? The only models I can seem to find are the 30RLT and the 30RLXT.
M Powered said:
Passive radiators works best when it is left outside your house.

I had the Zalman Reserator and ditched it within a week; what was I thinking.
I'm warm blooded so I typically keep my rooms around or less than 60F. I don't know if I want to put is outside right now, its the rainy season here. 1 week of sun in the past 2 months or so. I think it would look awesome hanging off the wall with the comp in the middle anyhow:cool:

I'll probably start on this some time next week along with my ss phase project, I'll have to go to the old copper pipe store and the flammable gas store :burn:

Justa word of warning---it appears as though you want to use an aluminum radiator---couple that with copper water blocks, and your system will corrode proetty quickly if you dont take the necessary precautions.I read somewhere that aluminum and copper dont mix well together, and causes quicker corrosion.

Even for passive that is way too big IMO. You could be using that or a nice lookin car rad but the water will come out at ambient and it wont make a difference in CPU temps. Once you get to Iwaki md-30's and car rads like I am you realize getting any more power is useless because the water comes out at ambient and ambient is the limit. It would be a cool mod though if it was painted and cleaned up though.

Well, he could always put in a cheap humidifier and make it into an evaporative cooling unit, then he would get sub ambient... depending on his weather. o_O

HelpMe said:
Justa word of warning---it appears as though you want to use an aluminum radiator---couple that with copper water blocks, and your system will corrode proetty quickly if you dont take the necessary precautions.I read somewhere that aluminum and copper dont mix well together, and causes quicker corrosion.
Yep, I believe its called electrolytic corrosion, tubes are copper though, just the fins are aluminium;)
bartsimsonii said:
Even for passive that is way too big IMO. You could be using that or a nice lookin car rad but the water will come out at ambient and it wont make a difference in CPU temps. Once you get to Iwaki md-30's and car rads like I am you realize getting any more power is useless because the water comes out at ambient and ambient is the limit. It would be a cool mod though if it was painted and cleaned up though.
Yeah, I know water is only going to get a within a few degrees of ambient at best, the first post was mostly meant as sarcasm. I'm definatley going to clean it up a bit, straighten some of the fins, paint and such. I've thought about using a car radiator before, but most car radiators are aluminum.

----What with people thinking that I trying to get below ambient with this rad? If I wanted cold water temps I would use a chiller :shrug: ----

Just trying to be original, size and practicality are low on the list:)

zebkoolindc said:
Sweet! Ordered! :thup:

Back