• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigabit

If i setup a watercooling kit but instead of running water through i hooked up a powerful airpump to run air through the tubing and blocks .Of course one end would be opened .Would this work or has anyone ever tried it?I was thinking of trying something like this because i have this air pump from my grandmother's old oxygen machine and this thing pumps out some air and it feels really cold.

It will not work as even close to well as an air cooled solution. air cannot hold nearly energy that water can to carry off the heat. I would not even risk trying it on my system.

Oh i wouldnt either unless i knew for sure it would work.But i think that if i could get enough air through it it might work but that would be hard to do

Dam dude you got a 220cfm Delta..lol i though my 141cfm was a lot.

gigabit said:
Oh i wouldnt either unless i knew for sure it would work.But i think that if i could get enough air through it it might work but that would be hard to do.
gigabit,

The heat capacity of air is much, much, much, less than water - particularly because of the
density. The density of air is about 1/1000-th that of water.

Therefore, in order to get an equilivant mass-flow rate through the cooling system - you
are going to need flow velocities that are 1,000 times higher than that of water.

You are NOT going to be able to do that with the tubing for a water system. The tubing
is just too narrow - so that the pressure needed to drive such a high velocity would be
in excess of what the tubing could withstand - even IF [ big IF ] you had the airpump
that could manage it.

Sorry - but that idea is a shovel with a rope handle!

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

That idea was dead from the start. Sorry. First of all, lets start by calling this air pump what it is, an air compressor. You claim the air is really cold yet every single unit I've ever worked on gives off pretty hot air. By the time the air travels through the system which consists of check valves, solenoids, sieve canisters, storage canisters and a few filters the air cools down to a temp that is OK or comfortable enough to breath. However it is by far NOT COLD. Maybe the air rushing past your fingers or hand might feel cold but it's not. There is absolutely nothing in that system that cools anything yet alone the air. So at best the air is room temp. However it's not even that as the air compressor heats the air. Don't believe me? Touch the compressor after it's been running for 10 minutes. I've burned myself plenty on these units.

That's about as far as my memory can take me without some research. If I were to guess I would say those compressors give off anywhere from 30-40psi. Maybe 60 but I doubt it. So like DrMorbius said you would never reach acceptable flow rates regardless of the tubing. These units where not designed to give off straight air. They are designed to pressurize internal canisters that are to give off no more then 6 lpm over no more then 2 hours time. At that rate the internal canisters stay pressurized giving off oxygen. Where it gets the concentrated oxygen is another story :)

Go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest POS air compressor they have. What you have is cheaper then that and needs to be rebuilt every two years. Unless you like excessive noise and poor output.

Then, lets look at the noise factor. Are you going to run this compressor inside it's original shell? That pretty huge! If you plan to remove the compressor and run it next to your computer then you are looking at 100dB.

btw:
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB

The only give and take here is that you might have a unit that is much newer then the ones I used to work on. In that case, maybe lower the dB output but as far as I can see with my first google search the main schematic to these things hasn't changed.

Sorry Bro.

Actually, that could work. You'd just have to use a bottle of canned air.. or lots of bottles of canned air... Eh, forget canned air..

Gigabit that's called Phase Change, except you'd want to recover the gas, compress it, cool it, and then let it evaporate inside the blocks, and so on and so forth.

JEmlay said:
That idea was dead from the start. Sorry. First of all, lets start by calling this air pump what it is, an air compressor. You claim the air is really cold yet every single unit I've ever worked on gives off pretty hot air. By the time the air travels through the system which consists of check valves, solenoids, sieve canisters, storage canisters and a few filters the air cools down to a temp that is OK or comfortable enough to breath. However it is by far NOT COLD. Maybe the air rushing past your fingers or hand might feel cold but it's not. There is absolutely nothing in that system that cools anything yet alone the air. So at best the air is room temp. However it's not even that as the air compressor heats the air. Don't believe me? Touch the compressor after it's been running for 10 minutes. I've burned myself plenty on these units.

That's about as far as my memory can take me without some research. If I were to guess I would say those compressors give off anywhere from 30-40psi. Maybe 60 but I doubt it. So like DrMorbius said you would never reach acceptable flow rates regardless of the tubing. These units where not designed to give off straight air. They are designed to pressurize internal canisters that are to give off no more then 6 lpm over no more then 2 hours time. At that rate the internal canisters stay pressurized giving off oxygen. Where it gets the concentrated oxygen is another story :)

Go to Home Depot and buy the cheapest POS air compressor they have. What you have is cheaper then that and needs to be rebuilt every two years. Unless you like excessive noise and poor output.

Then, lets look at the noise factor. Are you going to run this compressor inside it's original shell? That pretty huge! If you plan to remove the compressor and run it next to your computer then you are looking at 100dB.

btw:
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB

The only give and take here is that you might have a unit that is much newer then the ones I used to work on. In that case, maybe lower the dB output but as far as I can see with my first google search the main schematic to these things hasn't changed.

Sorry Bro.

Well this compresser is quiet. And it doesnt get very hot .But your point is well taken.It was a pretty stupid question but i wasnt sure.I didnt really think it was some great idea but im sure im not the only one that ever thought of this :shrug: Plus im getting old its my B day in 3 hour's ill be Well Old..lol

Last edited:
Interesting, can you give us the model of the compressor? If that's the case then DAMN! I wish they where like that a while ago.

That will let us know exactly what we're dealing with.

Yeah ill dig it out of storage tomorrow and ill let you know.But i really dont think its powerful enough now that i think about it.But ill get it out in the morning.It only weighs about 5 or 6 pounds id say its about the size of an alternator.I also have an Old Dehumidifier that still works.Its one of the ones with the refridgerator units in it.May between the 2 i could build something

Back