• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prototype Delrin 'DelRez' Reservoir *56K Warn!*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Well my itch got the best of me. I sourced out a hungry machinist to have the ultimate reservoir made. In my almost 5 years of water cooling, I have never used a reservoir, but, for my current build I wanted one, but nothing suited me. You may recall my thread HERE on the solid brass res I aquired. I love the brass res, but it has some shortcomings. You can not remove the glass without dismounting the whole res, big problem IMO. Second, it weighs nearly 4 lbs! Third, the barb placement is no good, and there are not enough of them. Anyway, this new res I had made I have coined 'DelRez' as it is made out of delrin. It very much resembles the aquatube made by Aqua Computer out of Germany. The aquatube is aluminum though, so not an option. Anyway, it uses G 1/4" (BSPP 1/4") thread which is identical in size to all the new swiftech thread (1/4" NPSM). There are 2 reasons why I chose this size, first, Danger Den is switching to them, they have new barbs called 'Perfect Seal' which use the same thread and are o-ring sealed. Second, innovatek's res uses G 1/4" as well and there are some way cool addons that can be put in this res. Temp sensor, LED's etc. All fittings including the plugs are o-ring sealed, no goop or tape necessary. Anyway, I'll stop boring you and show you some pics. Oh, I have 2 mounts, 1 for mounting in the top of the case and one to mount in the 5.25" bays (takes 2 slots). I decided to go with diamond plate for the mounts, not sure if I will leave it polished or spay it black.

bodygood2.jpg

allpartsclose.jpg

Bay Mount:

baymountfront.jpg

baymountfront2.jpg

baymountrearangle.jpg

baymountrearup.jpg

Pics continued:

baymountstraight.jpg

baymountfront3.jpg

Top Mount: (The plate is 5" x 5" which IMO is too big... will be making 4x4 or so)

topmount1.jpg

topmountangle.jpg

rearclose.jpg

Me too. Great work!!! Is it possible to add a filter element somehow? Thermochill has a filter element in their res, but the endcaps are aluminum, boooo.....

That is just simply sweet. One question that comes to mind though is if it is top mounted, how do you fill it being that fill holes are on the side and the barbs on the bottom? I also am curious how much this cost you in materials and labor.

That looks really hot. Question though, do you think you'd need to add a divider plate in there to try to keep the air bubbles out? If water is coming in fast enough, the turbulence might make you suck down some air I think.

very nice, very very nice :)

i'm happy with my DD Dual 5.25" res though... yeah its acrylic... but its also danger den, so i really don't doubt their build quality, plus i'm careful about the additives i use with the water

voigts said:
That is just simply sweet. One question that comes to mind though is if it is top mounted, how do you fill it being that fill holes are on the side and the barbs on the bottom? I also am curious how much this cost you in materials and labor.

From irc convos, it wasnt cheap.

The top clear acrylic piece (i assume its acrylic) can be undone - you fill it and bolt it back on. Same as the german ones.

Actually, for the amount of time that was spent tooling and CADing, the setup cost was very very reasonable.

My suggestion:
Leave the top-mount at 5x5, because if you have it at 4X4 you will not see enough of the diamonds of the diamond plate to know that it's a diamond plate.

Plus, I like how you have the rez perfectly centered in the diamonds. LEAVE IT ALONE!

wow, that looks even better then the aquatube. i want one. the black delrin is NICE, also, if your looking for some added "bling", have an LED or two shining on the liquid, so itll look illuminated.

very nice, makes me wanna give up my t-line.

Nice work! I also feel you should leave the top 5x5, maybe 4.5 x 4.5. How much did the actual machining cost if you don't mind me asking?

BTW, I'm going to a school for Project Lead the Way which is an engineering course. I should have access to all kinds of mills, lathes, etc for free in a few monthes :) It just might not be top quality work unless I use the CNC and do the work myself. What's even more awesome is that they're working on getting a rapid prototyper. That's going to be sweet! I hope they get it before I complete the course.

I heard this is going to be on sale right? If yes please put me on your list so I can get rid my AquaTube (aluminum :( ) also give us the estimate price too

OCS911 said:
I heard this is going to be on sale right? If yes please put me on your list so I can get rid my AquaTube (aluminum :( ) also give us the estimate price too
That is still up in the air. If it were, I would not be allowed to discuss the details of price or where to get it as that would break our advertising rule. If I do decide to make some up, I will likely post in the classified section :D

Back