• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this rad mounting OK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markodude

Its my first water cooling - case is same chassis as Ttake V1000A.

mockup-rad.jpg

I plan to mount it like this, and cut a couple of 120mm holes underneath it.... is it OK to have the barbs on the rad facing downwards? The res is just underneath as you can see, pump will be at bottom of the case. Im only cooling the CPU.

Thanks

Well can you make a suggestion as to how I can make it easier for myself? I never did this before....

I would have thought it should be OK to fill and bleed. You'd have to detach the reservoir in order to gain access to the fill hole and by having the case on its back I would have thought all the air would come out of the rad.

Thanks Milzee. ;)
I think I will just move the pump to the 3.5" bay area, keep the pump, res and rad pretty close and reduce the tubing lengths. Like you say I can remove the back of the case, and I will be able to access the res, I can install slightly longer tubing so I can lift it up to above the rad level....should all be cool :)

The circled areas are where air will be trapped.
During the bleed process you'll prolly have to tip your case on it's backplane to break the air free.
mockup-rad1.jpg

Lots of people mount rads like that. Like clocker2 said, you are just going to have to tip the case back when bleeding to get the trapped air out of the rad.

Cool thanks gents :)
I better make sure everything is attached properly before I tip the case!

Hehe, yea that is a must. I actually invert my entire case and lay it down on it's sides with the pump running to get the air out also.

Tip: Used pure distilled water at first when bleeding, and when most of the bubbles are out, add in your antifungal/anticorrosion mix. Makes bleeding much faster.

Maviryk said:
Tip: Used pure distilled water at first when bleeding, and when most of the bubbles are out, add in your antifungal/anticorrosion mix. Makes bleeding much faster.
Why?

If you put your rads on top like that, then don't bother cutting holes into the top of your case. There's no benefit to drawing air that is already heated by the contents of your case through your rad. Just leave it like you show it. Cut holes for your tubing to pass through, and your screws to secure it, and you're done!

Except, you might want to locate it a bit closer to the rear of the case. Be mindeful of where the tubings will come through. It looks as though they will wind up smacking the CD rom drives where you show it. Try to hit the space between the CD Roms and your power supply, leaving room for access to cables and such.

cutting holes for airflow on the top of your case would help with cooling if youre pushing air into your case, but id rather mount more fans on the inside to cool it. im mounting the same way for my case so let me know how it turns out. good luck.

I like your setup d94 :D
I plan to run 8x HDDs so I need the space in the rack that you have cut out, I was going to have the pump at the bottom but I dont use the 3.5" bay area so I figured keep it all up top ;)

I could only get a 13mm drill bit so the barbs cannot fit in, now the rad is at an angle....I put some silver tape round the gap between the bottom of the rad setup and the case since then....looks a bit better. I need to trim a couple of the pipes before final install...

watertestsm.jpg

I had trouble bleeding the system, I filled it with tapwater to test it out (bad I know), it would not bleed until I put some of the included additive in there, then it sorted itself out but it looks very foamy!

Cant wait for X1900XTX to arrive tomorrow :D.....then I get the rig up and running on air cooling until the ASUS mobo arrives and Ill mount it up with the water. The Swiftech block wont fit on the D975XBX without modification to the sink (a little filing) or removal of a MOSFET heatsink on the board...

I don't understand why anyone would want holes in the top of their case to either push or pull air in such a way. Ideally, it should be isolated. Why would you want warm air entering your case from your rad, or warm air from your rad entering your case? Just let the rad's fans pull air from under and around the rad. So long as there is space under the rad, it will perform fine. I have seen people's rigs on here that are just as I describe. In fact, I made this mistake waaaaaay back when I first started. My w/c setup is isolated now. No air flows directly between the case and the w/c system. Granted, the higher you go with your rad, the lower the flow rate, but were only talking an inch or two here, so the flow rate loss is insignificant.

Another reason: Dust control. Why complicate it? It will be harder to clean with a hole in the top of the case.

Not to pick you apart (I'm not) but the air coming off my rad isn't really warm, even when folding. I don't think its gonna make the case ambient go any higher than it would with a HSF on the CPU.

Also, I use dust filters so that I dont have to clean the dust :cool:

Ok, well, if it aint' warm, it ain't warm. Mine is, however. During a serious round of BF2 with my Opty dual core and my 7800Gt, my rad produces pretty warm air. I'm glad it's not entering my case.

Back