• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inZane

G'day everyone,

I have a few short type questions here. I am looking at WC my computer for a couple reasons. 1) Right now it is so loud that if I leave it running at night, my neighbors complain (a little overexagerated, but not by that much) 2) With my current setup my idle temps are 47-50 degrees celcius and a load when playing BF2 is up near 60.

I am not looking to overclock anything, just something that is reletively quiet than my current setup and might drop those temps down a bit.

My setup is as follows:
AMD XP 2800+
1.2 gig Kingston RAM
2x160GB Seagate HDD's in RAID0
Sapphire x800 GTO 256MB video
Gigabyte GA7Z600 (?) mainboard
SB live (you can all laugh now :santa: )

My current budget is only about $200 Canadian Dollars (roughly .02 USD - haa haa) as still have my family to support. And I am pretty good with hardware and stuff, but don't have the knowledge to build a WC setup from scratch.

I found a couple kits from NCIX.ca for a not too bad price. A Kingwin AS-3000 and a Thermaltake BigWater SE kit and both would be just under 200.00 with tax and shipping. There are also a couple kits that are a bit higher and am willing to go with other kits, but not for much higher than the 250.00 mark.

Any thoughts or suggestions that may help??? :bang head

The cheap kits will not perform much/at all better then a top notch air cooling so I highly recommend you stay away from it. The best advice I can give you is try to score your parts right here in the classifieds but you need 200 posts for that. I got all my parts from here.
Some of water cooling Canadian friends might be of better help.

Thanks for your Honesty Flip-Mode.

So I noticed that you have the TT Sonic Tower in your system. Do you have the 120mm fan attached to that and how does it help your temps?? Also, what other cooling/fans do you have running in your system (intake or exhaust). At this time I have 2x80mm exhaust and a 80mm and 60mm intake (reason I dont have 120's is that I would have to cut the case up to do that and I am not that great of a modder)

inZane said:
Thanks for your Honesty Flip-Mode.

So I noticed that you have the TT Sonic Tower in your system. Do you have the 120mm fan attached to that and how does it help your temps?? Also, what other cooling/fans do you have running in your system (intake or exhaust). At this time I have 2x80mm exhaust and a 80mm and 60mm intake (reason I dont have 120's is that I would have to cut the case up to do that and I am not that great of a modder)
I looked for a specific case with two 120mm holes, I have 1 intake, 1 exhaust and 1 sitting on the SonicTower plus the 120mm PSU fan. All fans are on the bare minimum voltage using a Sunbeam controller so my system is very much silent but not as much as I want it to be so I'm moving to WC as soon as my rad gets here.
The fan on the SonicTower didn't lower my temps very much, only by 2-3C but it lowered my chipset temps by 6-7C because of the added flow.

Back