• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwaki runs HOT!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ixtapalapaquetl

I recently got a Iwaki MD-20RZT. I've been testing it over the last couple days and found that it runs very warm, bordering on too hot to touch. I have also found this adds a considerable amount of heat to my the loop. Does anyone use active cooling on their Iwaki to reduce this heat load? Would adding heat sinks to the pump be a silly idea? Thanks for the input.

Funny, it seems to be rated at 1/38hp, or 20W...shouldn't be anything too crazy. With no cooling though, it'd make sense that it'd get quite warm. But the heat output is too small to significantly affect the rest of the loop, especially once you get it chilled. ;)

I run two fans on my 30rzt, although this is a temporary setup. I've heard they're made to run hot, but mine was also bordering on too hot to touch and I just felt better with it running cooler. It does make a noticeable difference.

One time I forgot to shut off the pump but all the fans (including the ones on the radiator) shut off with my computer and when I noticed ~ 5 hours later the pump was VERY hot, as well as the water/rad/tubing/etc...

It is normal for the casing to get hot, like too hot to hold your hand on, totally normal.

Herr Rogers said:
Exactly what mine does; but who cares.
Well you shouldn't care, but if you've never dealt with an Iwaki before, it may concern you that it is getting so hot.

nikhsub1 said:
Well you shouldn't care, but if you've never dealt with an Iwaki before, it may concern you that it is getting so hot.
But I have never dealt with an Iwaki cutie :D. I'm just a non-caring person :D.

Thanks for the input. As Gautam pointed out, I will be running a chiller system. I am in the testing/experimentation phase now, and was running my loop without engaging the chiller to see what I would learn. With ambient temps around 25C, my liquid was running at 40C. This made the tubing more pliable, and found a leak that wasn't there before, so I tossed a worm clamp on and all is well. I was just surprised by the large delta from only using the Iwaki. I guess I learned how efficient radiators must be to keep the loop near ambient, especially when the CPU heat is added in.

@Gautam - insulation/Lubrex will arrive this week, so should be go by next weekend. Now just have to decide whether to use Expert or Ultra-D...

The Front of the iwaki Head region is seperated from the rest of the motor. This is to prevent heat from entering the liquid. Thus the metal portion, and mostly the rear part of the Iwaki will become hot with 37Watts of Heat. MD20RZ will use 57 Watts of Electricity, and 20 Watts will actuallty be used for the motor. So nearly all the heat will cause the Iwaki to become blistering hot. Yet almost none of it goes into the water because it is is physically seperated from the motor. Touch the water in a test loop, and notice how the front of the iwaki as well as the water doesn't rise in temperature

The MD20 series was designed this way to prevent heating the aquarium water,

Zenjirou said:
The Front of the iwaki Head region is seperated from the rest of the motor. This is to prevent heat from entering the liquid. Thus the metal portion, and mostly the rear part of the Iwaki will become hot with 37Watts of Heat. MD20RZ will use 57 Watts of Electricity, and 20 Watts will actuallty be used for the motor. So nearly all the heat will cause the Iwaki to become blistering hot. Yet almost none of it goes into the water because it is is physically seperated from the motor. Touch the water in a test loop, and notice how the front of the iwaki as well as the water doesn't rise in temperature

The MD20 series was designed this way to prevent heating the aquarium water,

Pretty sure iwaki's MD series were designed as chemical pumps, not aquariums...

md_w2003.pdf said:
The MD series features small, high-performance magnetic drive pumps with a leakproof structure that are in wide us in more than 30 countries. The series is well known for its corrosion resistance and durability provided by its corrosion-resistant materials. In particular, E-TFE material type as its primary material, is specifically designed for highly corrosive fluids and can be used to pump virtually all chemicals, with only a few exceptions. The MD series can transfer nearly all chemicals safely, and is suitable for OEM phot processer and other equipments.

Back