• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WC all set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plague77

Registered
First of all I'd like to thank the academy...seriously, thanks for all the great info. You helped me whether you wanted to or not! I just put a PA 120.3 rad (3 Pana's), Iwaki MD20, Tygon 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD tubing, Apogee, and Maze4 X 2 for SLI setup. System specs are in sig i believe. Wow...that was a lot of work and trouble shooting. I am glad I took time to read other peoples experiences, it helped me EMMENSELY. Ok, how are the temps you ask??.

Air cooling idle/load: CPU 34*/46*, GPU#1 53*/72*, GPU#2 55*/78*

ON H2O idle/load: CPU 23*/31*, GPU#1 31*/39*, GPU#2 48*/51*

Accuracy of the temps is negotiable, but the comparison is valid. > 20 C drop in GPU and >10 in CPU. I am very pleased. MBM5 is my sourse for temps. Anyone concerned re: the difference in temps between GPU 1 & 2? I check the two card and both are seated exactly the same, with the same tension. Before WC, I assumed the temp difference was related to decreased air flow over card 2 (while card 1 dumped its heat onto card 2 also). Don't know quite what to make of it now though. Feeedback would be greatly appreciated.. I WILL post pics later this afternoon...I can't do all that hard work and not show it to someone besides my girlfriend (who justifiably called me a geek). Thanks again folks.

congrats on a kickass water setup, only thing i'd change is the cpu block :p i'm kind of curious why your gpu2 temps are so high though, do you have any airflow?

Pleased with the Apogee, no prior experiences to compare with though. I have 4 80mm fans as intake/exhaust. Also, I placed a 120mm fan inside the case to flow accross GPU's and chipset. Then there is the 3 120mm fans blowing through the rad into the case.

i bet you loop goes from gpu 1 to gpu2. the heat from gpu1 is dumped on gpu2. At least thats the assumption I made when mine was set up that way.

I always thought that those HUGE mountainmod cases (like nihksub has) were complete overkill. I now know why some people opt for these cases...and I will be doing the same in a coupla months. You can never have too much room IMO. I am maxed out for space in a full tower lian-li. :bang head

my054runner said:
i bet you loop goes from gpu 1 to gpu2. the heat from gpu1 is dumped on gpu2. At least thats the assumption I made when mine was set up that way.

there should't be THAT huge of an increase in temps it seems. What was your experience...did you switch the flow? Was your temp variation as significant as mine?

no when I had it set up it was 4* max difference. I since have changed it. I have a second pump which seems to have helped things. I run it p1-->p2-->gpu2-->gpu1-->rad-->cpu-->NB-->p1. Again, that was just the easiest tubing run for me, ymmv. I would check your contacts on the second gpu. also, the nvidia monitoring software is pretty good. MBM might just have the wrong sensor? Just a suggestion

my054runner, what do you think about using a y adapter after the CPU block to the 2 gpu blocks? You think that would help temps? Ive only seen people go from gpu1 to gpu2 and so on.

If I had to guess I'd say you may have an air bubble in the block? Presumably you've double checked the mount. Sorry if this too obvious :)

I have been getting my GPU temps from the Nvidia software. I have checked the seating/mounting of GPU 2...it is as tight as it can be. A thought: the PCI-E slots are pretty close together on this mobo. So close, in fact, that the WB on GPU1 seems to almost be touching the backside of the processor on GPU2. I don't know how hot/warm the acetal/delrin tops get, but that could be increasing the heatload on the #2 die.
Just to be clear, I willl not be tampering with my setup for now (famous last words i'm sure), as long as it is relatively benign. Within the next month or two I will be purchasing a DFI SLI Expert board (wider PCIE slots) and a mountainmods GINORMOUS case. I do appreciate the feedback...keep it coming. Oh yeah...let me take some pics.

Ok. here's some pics. I haven't gotten a chance to clean up the mess much. Also, ignore the cheesey labels on the tubing, those will be coming off too...I'm a little Type A :shrug:

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 69
OK, that is the second reference regarding changing my CPU block. What do you folks suggest? IMO, the Storm didn't shoe HUGE gains over the Apogee (insert opening can of worms noise here). Is there something else I'm missing? If you can show me a significant price/performance gain WB I would appreciate it greatly. As i prev said, I will be revamping the system soon and would love a good excuse to buy a new WB. Is there something that will give me temps significantly lower than I said in my initial post...short of phase chg?

In my opinion there isn't another block that will give you 'significantly' lower temps than what you already have, however the word significant may be a relative term. Theres nothing wrong with the block you have that would make me suggest trying another one w/o explaining why I feel this way. Despite the fact that people have had a few problems with the Apogee, it still performs pretty good IMO.

plague77 said:
OK, that is the second reference regarding changing my CPU block. What do you folks suggest? IMO, the Storm didn't shoe HUGE gains over the Apogee (insert opening can of worms noise here). Is there something else I'm missing? If you can show me a significant price/performance gain WB I would appreciate it greatly. As i prev said, I will be revamping the system soon and would love a good excuse to buy a new WB. Is there something that will give me temps significantly lower than I said in my initial post...short of phase chg?

No offense but even a TDX is better than an apogee :shrug: . For price/performance I would go with an mp-05 from cooltechnica because it rivals the storm but comes a bit short of it performance wise.

bartsimsonii said:
No offense but even a TDX is better than an apogee :shrug: . For price/performance I would go with an mp-05 from cooltechnica because it rivals the storm but comes a bit short of it performance wise.

Can you show me this please. In my readings (Storm vs. Apogee thread) the Apogee rivals the Storm. By rivals, I mean comes somewhat close in performance.

plague77 said:
Can you show me this please. In my readings (Storm vs. Apogee thread) the Apogee rivals the Storm. By rivals, I mean comes somewhat close in performance.

Have you been using swiftech's performance sheets?

nah...just what i've been reading from other people and their experience as a whole. I certainly am not saying that I have all knowledge of this subject. All I can really do is look at people's personal, real-life experience--throw the extremists out--and have a good "idea" of product performance/quality. What do you propose would happen to a load temp of 40*, bart, if I dropped a TDZ or storm into my system?

Wow. This kinda went off on a tangent.

Original question: Do any of you other guys/gals who have SLI systems experience significant temp variations between the two cards themseles. I am starting to think my Nvidia monitor is not working properly but I wanna get a general consensus,

Back