• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to W/C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tanky321

Im starting to consider water cooling more and more, but i have a question. I thought of this way to plumb the system i just wanted to know if it was a good idea. Also this site is kick *** i wouldnt have been able to do what ive done so far without this place. The larger lines are 1/2 and the smaller are 3/8 thanks.

pumpj.jpg

I would keep it all 1/2 inch. Looks good though I would use air for the HD because all it is doing is heightening your temps.

Don't split water tube for cpu and hard drive, just run them in series, rad>cpu>hard drive>res. I don't know if there is a point of runing 1/2id tubing if blocks are 3/8

meionm said:
Don't split water tube for cpu and hard drive, just run them in series, rad>cpu>hard drive>res. I don't know if there is a point of runing 1/2id tubing if blocks are 3/8

Good catch. Yes do run them in a series.

meionm said:
depends on the blocks & expected flowrate of the loop. For higher flowrates, 1/2" is recommended. At lower flowrates, 3/8" should do just fine, plus it puts less strain on the blocks. Really, what I'd recommend is a 1/2" block with 3/8" tubing stretched over the barbs since a 1/2" barb's ID is approx. 3/8".

citronym said:
I'd recommend 1/2'' barbs with 7/16'' tubing strethced over them. More closely matched ID's.
yeah, that's even better. I believe 7/16" tubing is more expensive though, isn't it?

I wouldn't bother water cooling the hard drive, it really isn't worth the time, effort, or expense. I'd also go pump > cpu > rad > res, in the best of all possible worlds, but the order might get you 1°C difference so plumb it in the order that works best (with the least amount of tubing) in your case with your components.

There are very few times when a hard drive needs to be WC'd. One would be if you're getting zero airflow where the drive is, and even then it's usually fine (I know this from experience). The other is if you're running a really hot drive such as a raptor or a fast SCSI drive like a 15k Cheetah.

Cyrix_2k said:
There are very few times when a hard drive needs to be WC'd. One would be if you're getting zero airflow where the drive is, and even then it's usually fine (I know this from experience). The other is if you're running a really hot drive such as a raptor or a fast SCSI drive like a 15k Cheetah.

The Raptors don't need it. I've got two as system drives (in two computers) right now and even with minimal airflow around them they're fine. The Cheetah I don't know about.

MVC said:
The Raptors don't need it. I've got two as system drives (in two computers) right now and even with minimal airflow around them they're fine. The Cheetah I don't know about.
My raptors are freakin' loud in my WC system... my WC system isn't loud whatsoever, so I listen to the raptors chug along in raid 0... it drives me nuts.

The other is if you're running a really hot drive such as a raptor or a fast SCSI drive like a 15k Cheetah.
Even then if you have some airflow you should be fine. A hard drive block is just going to restrict flow for the whole system without providing any benefit to your hard drive. HD's aren't real hot, and won't get too hot as long as there is SOMETHING moving air over them. My Raptor was fine in a cage with two other HD's and a Panaflo L1A (~20cfm).

Back