• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rimm Pc 800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mi6

Hey all. I Have A P4 with a P4t mobo i have 2x128rimm pc 800
as you all probably all no u have to buy them in pairs. But there is 4 slots? i whanted to kno if i can get 2 more Rimm to fill out the 2 extra slots? can i do that or do i need to only have the 2 cards plus the 2 other THINGS that come with it?

The 'other things' that came in the empty slots are terminators. Similar to when you have a dual processor motherboard with only one processor, you often need a blank terminator to go in the other slot. You can fill all four RIMM banks, but you need to make sure that all of your memory is PC800.
Peace
John

ahh ok thx so i will get 2 more 128 pc 800 Rimms for my rig and also there are more and less then Pc 800 ? Rimms i kno there a DDR's that are 1200 but i did not kno that there was more then PC 800 ? Can you clearafy me on that...

Intraveinous said:
The 'other things' that came in the empty slots are terminators. Similar to when you have a dual processor motherboard with only one processor, you often need a blank terminator to go in the other slot. You can fill all four RIMM banks, but you need to make sure that all of your memory is PC800.
Peace
John

On the Dual Processor do you need to have equal Chips like 2x800 or can you have a P3 266 and a P3 633 ? for a total of 999mhz ? or do i have to get 2 of the same? thx allot

M|6

99.95% of the time, in the Home PC and workstation market, duals have to be not only the same speed, but the same stepping, and as close to the same manufacture date as possible. When I was building Dual PPros back in the day, I used to call a distributor and order two chips that they had set aside specifically for dual applications. I would get Serial numbers 11383 and 11384 or something like that. There are some higher end systems that can have asynchronous dual CPU configurations, and there was some talk about the AMD Dual platform going asynchronous at some point, but I've not heard of it happening yet. Also, in a dual system, the performance increase is not cumulative, ie, dual 1GHz will not be the same as a single chip 2GHz. Some things are MUCH faster, some things don't take advantage of the second processor. Just depends on the coding of the program. As far as PC800 vs PC1600, PC2100, etc, they're just different naming schemes. PC1600 can transfer (optimally) 1.6GB/second of data. PC800 was named that way because it effectively runs at 800MHz after all of the clock doubling, quadrupalling, etc.
Peace
John

Hey i just whanted to add i got the extra 2x128 rimm and now im all set :) well thx for the help guys Cya soon

-ps-

also how can i make sure that my HD is a sertain rpm? whats a good program to test it? :)

Thx M|6
ChowChow

Back